New V1U ordered at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 26th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New V1U ordered

Thanks so much to DV Info, and all you folks who post and comment on various issues. I've spent literally 15 to twenty hours (low estimate probably) reading posts about various cameras and post production the past few weeks, trying to pick a new cam.

It's been a tough decision but I've got a new V1U, a VCLHG0862K wide angle lens, battery, monopod and a few other trinkets coming in a couple of days. I'm really excited about my HC1's new partner.

I decided to got with the V1U for the 20X zoom; the progressive format options; various other reasons; and smaller form factor. Moving up to the FX7 and EX were not justifiable for me as a hobbyist.

For now I wanted to stick to tape, I haven't had any experience with the hard disk or card write formats, or importing AVCHD into Vegas. Tapes are cheap, available anywhere, and store well. I'm sure at some point in the future, the card formats will be the way to go.

Hmmm... if they make a "hard disk" unit for the V1U now, maybe someone will make a "card" or "memory stick unit" that will mount on it soon.

A personal thanks to Adam Gold for his answer to my post on another sub-forum. We are all busy, and I appreciate those who take the time to help and offer their views and experiences.

Thanks also to B&H for such a great on-line shopping experience.

Jamie
Jamie Hellmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Welcome to the Club

Just wanted to welcome you to the V1U family

By the way they do make a harddrive recorder for the V1U and it works great with Vegas (and final cut pro)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Recording.html

If you have any questions this is the place to be...some amazing brains that I get my info from on a daily basis!
Jason Boyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jason, I've much to learn.

Quick question:

Page 31 of manual regarding zoom "Tips" says:

"Be sure to keep your finger on the power zoom lever. If you move your finger off the power zoom lever, the operation sound of the power zoom lever may also be recorded".

Any idea what that's all about? I did a quick forum search and didn't see anything.

Jamie
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #4
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hellmich View Post
Thanks also to B&H for such a great on-line shopping experience.
Thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Jamie,

I don't have the manual right in front of me to see what you are referring to. But, I would interpret that as being sure not to let your finger off the zoom lever in a manner that would cause it to "snap" back to the normal position (which could cause that [snap] sound to be picked up by the microphone).

I think this pretty much pertains to any type of "interaction" you have with your camera while you are recording. When pressing any buttons while recording, try not to make any noise, and try not to shake the camera.
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I kinda thought that, but wasn't sure.

Thanks,

Jamie
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Congrats on the V1, Jamie! Glad to have been of some help and very glad you had the same great experience with B&H that I've been having for years now.

You already have an answer to the sound/zoom question, but I wanted to add that any time you touch the cam you're likely to pick up some sound. So I use a tripod with a LANC controller on the handle and end up almost never touching the cam. But then you have to have your hand(s) on the pan handle(s) all the time, because as you grip them you'll get the vibration that HDV is so sensitive to...

It's great that you're spending some time with the manual. You'd be amazed how many people don't.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Adam, I usually try to use the supplied remote as much as possible on a tripod with other cams like my HC1 and our churches XL-H1's.

I was so surprised and pleased to read in the manual that it has front AND rear remote sensors! Nice! I just hope the zoom rate with the remote is slow enough to suit. If not I'll try the LANC control.

Jamie
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hellmich View Post
Moving up to the FX7 and EX were not justifiable for me as a hobbyist.
Hey Jamie.
Could you explain a lil better this statement?

I thought that if you were a hobbyist the FX7 would be better.

Why is it not?
Just curious...

Anyway, welcome to the V1 realm. Hope you produce beautiful pictures with it.
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I think he meant the Z7, not the FX7.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #11
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Pietro Impagliazzo;884004]Hey Jamie. I thought that if you were a hobbyist the FX7 would be better. Why is it not? Just curious...[/QUOTE

Well... I looked at the differences in the "Sticky": http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79118 FX7/V1U differences
and saw the "yes" and "no" differences in options. As well, the FX7 is not available new from anyone I trust to do business with. The V1U was reasonably priced, and with a rebate (I smell accessories!).

A couple of my "mantras" include:

"Get what you want the first time" and "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

I also really want to learn manual and "artistic" use of video cameras. I do a lot of shooting, and a lot of authoring to DVD and now Blu-Ray... for a hobbyist.

I'm the "Maker of Video Record" of mine and my wife's families get-togethers, vacations, outings and events. I also love to shoot nature stuff here in Florida.

I figure when I check out, there won't be much evidence of my existence, except a lot of "what Jamie saw" stuff on tapes and disks. And I want it to be the best it can be.

Jamie
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I understand you now Jamie.
I was suspecting that, but hey, you never know!

I got the FX7 mainly budget oriented, and it is a nice cam, I'm glad I paid 2,500 for it and not that ridiculous high launch price.

And the V1 will serve you better later when you start to get interested in the pro stuff, you'll already have phantom power and all these things.

Open an account on Vimeo and start posting some stuff!
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Major Player

Jamie,

Congratulations on your new V1U. I really like the two I recently purchased.

I spoke to a Sony rep back in March who told me that the MRU that comes with the Z7 will be sold seperately for use with other cams like the V1U.

I am hoping Sony prices it competitively and I can get that for at least one of my cameras.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7