Using the HVR- V1 with older version of FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using the HVR- V1 with older version of FCP?

I'm using the academic version of FCP (5.0.1), and cannot upgrade any further. So while I know 24p HDV footage is out of the question for me at this time with my current software, will this version of FCP accept 60i footage from this camera?

In other words, If I was to purchase this camera, would I be able to use it at all with that version of FCP? Will it be seen by FCP?

I am in the market to buy a Z1U or a V1U, and would like to get some paid gigs coming in before I have to buy a newer FCP Studio Suite. The cost of either of these cameras will leave me nearly tapped out completely. I don't mind not having 24p editing ability for the first six months of owning the camera, as 30 frames is pretty nice for my needs.
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't see why not... I have edited 1080i60 projects from my Z1 in FCP 5.01.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yeah, but you can't print to video AND you sometimes FCP has trouble recognizing the VU1. i had to have both on and then hot swap the firewire in to get the two to recognize each other. you can still shoot 24 and 30 progressive, you just edit in a 1080i - it's a decent compromize. but the Z works perfectly with the older FCP. your call.
Justin Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

look for older threads on this as well - before FCP Studio 2 came out...
Justin Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Zimmerman View Post
look for older threads on this as well - before FCP Studio 2 came out...
Thanks so much. I figured there was some campatability, but you how things can be.
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Zimmerman View Post
yeah, but you can't print to video AND you sometimes FCP has trouble recognizing the VU1. i had to have both on and then hot swap the firewire in to get the two to recognize each other. you can still shoot 24 and 30 progressive, you just edit in a 1080i - it's a decent compromize. but the Z works perfectly with the older FCP. your call.
I might have to get the Z1 just because... it does PAL is one good reason. May as well open yourself up to more jobs with more flexibility of what you can shoot

How swapping the firewire can fry your 1394 jacks on both pieces of gear. Major bummer if your camera goes in for repairs the day you need it for capturing new footage.
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7