V1U "Photo" Feature? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

V1U "Photo" Feature?

I am going on a study abroad trip for the next couple weeks shooting a documentary on a Caribbean music festival in south america. Because I think all my tapes are going to the government, and I still want some personal keepsakes from the trip (potentially when i am shooting for the doc.) I was looking to take some pictures to the memory stick. I would usually take stills from the HD video...

Does anybody use this feature? How is the quality of the images?

-Jeff
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Jeff, one huge draw back to shooting with the V1U for stills is no flash. Personally your better off just getting a cheap Kodak or similiar camera. You'll get better pictures, have a flash and you can put it in your pocket. Plus the quality will be good enough that if you decide to print you'll be okay. V1U's still picture mode is an option I would only use as a last resort, out of tape. The pictures are usable but just don't carry the quality of a nice compact still camera.
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use the still function quite frequently. For HD viewing it does very nicely, and better than screen grabs.

I carry an 8.1 megapixel still cam around with me, but it usually winds up staying in the truck if I'm shooting video, and I use the V1u. I seldom print pictures anymore, except small sizes for family.

Most viewing nowadays for me is via pc, with PS3 on plasma, or incorporated stills in movies, and the still shots are very good. Plus, how many still cams have a 20X optical zoom?

V1u prints on 3x5 or 4x6 look fine. If you want to print out larger, and need the flash... as Jeff Z. said... carry a small higher res still cam.

Regardless, the best camera to use is the one you have with you.

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie Hellmich; August 13th, 2008 at 02:50 AM.
Jamie Hellmich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7