blocky party footage from HDV codec,rolling shutter or other? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 11th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #1
New Boot

blocky party footage from HDV codec,rolling shutter or other?

I've had my V1 for about a year and shoot alot on it. When filming a recent series of dance parties and later viewing the captured footage in premiere, alot of the images were blocky as if the tape head were dirty (though their not). So Can HDV not handle the combination of stage lights and smoke machines, strobes, etc.... the footage looked just terrible-thought I was capturing off an old VHS tape. Or could it be the codec I am capturing with in Premiere? I couldnt see it when viewing the footage off the Camera LCD.Is this just the reality of MPEG2 codec? Any ideas?
Robert Koster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Trustee

if you're not seeing it in playback on the camera then the fault lies with the capyure / codec.

which vers prem?

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Can attach some sample jpg? or you may take a look CMOS Rolling Shutter

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...s-flashes.html
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Probably pixellization / bandwidth starvation of the MPEG2 encoder due to the strobe lights (as mentioned in the thread pointed to by K.C. Luke), which I too have observed with flash photography. The MPEG2 blocks are small in HDV, which might explain why you didn't see them on the LCD.
Stephan Stryhanyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #5
New Boot

Block party

I am using Premiere CS3... and have since downloaded the 3.1.1 update as i was getting red frames.
I will try to upload a screen capture. Do you think this could be eliminated if I used an intermediate codec like cineform. I had read on this forum of a similar problem someone had... and it was explained that the color format of HDV (4:2:1) is to blame for this.. Whereas cineform can convert the color into 4:2:2. Has anyone had experience with this.

Last edited by Robert Koster; September 11th, 2008 at 07:00 AM.
Robert Koster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

"Do you think this could be eliminated if I used an intermediate codec like cineform":
- If you have blocks all over the picture, like periodically with the strobe lights (bandwidth starvation): no.
- If you have blocks staying continuously, only on the saturated red parts of the picture (4:2:0 chroma subsampling): would most probably improve a lot, but better check with the free trial before committing.

Best to post a frame grab to avoid overtheorizing.
Stephan Stryhanyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7