FX7 ISO (ASA) Rating? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 1st, 2009, 11:24 PM   #1
New Boot

FX7 ISO (ASA) Rating?

I'd like to use my external incident light meter with my new FX7 sometimes. Does anyone know the effective "film" speed rating of the camera? At 60fps it seems to be around 320ISO? And I guess if I ran it at 30fps, it would "double" the ISO? Thanks.
Steve Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Steve, the 60 and 30 you are refering to both shutter speeds (i.e. 1/30sec and 1/60) not 'frames per second' which is the meaning of 'fps'.

Adjusting the shutter speed does not change the frames per second, which will be 29.97 in both cases (in the US).

To answer your question, yes, changing from 60 to 30 will double the ISO .... provided gain is being held constant.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:51 AM   #3
New Boot

Graham, oops, I had FPS on the brain. Yes, I meant shutter speed. My main question was about ISO so I can set the ISO on my incident meter and see how that works with the FX7. Thanks.
Steve Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Major Player

I do not know the speed of that camera but have rated several others and can describe to you a quick and easy method to obtain it:

1. Obtain 18% grey card from local camera store
2. Position it about 4-5ft. from camera lens and zoom to fill screen
3. Light card with a soft, even light source
4. Put camera on auto iris and let it find f-stop it likes
5. Set meter to 1/60 shutter and hold at card postion in same light
6. Take reading and move ISO up or down until f-stop on meter matches f-stop on camera.

If you use ND filters you will need to compensate for the stop loss after taking reading.

Enjoy better pictures.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM   #5
New Boot

OK, I'll try that and then compensate for ND, gain, aperture/iris and shutter. Gulp, maybe I'll just watch the zebra and histogram :)
Steve Henry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7