30p or interlaced for Green Screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #1
Major Player

30p or interlaced for Green Screen

Does anyone have any experience shooting Green Screen with the Sony HVR-V1?

My question is should I shoot 30p or interlaced?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I would suggest shooting in progressive for greenscreen work. It makes for better keys and less work in post. I also shoot with no picture profiles on.
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Major Player

I second those recommendations, and would also add to use a low sharpening setting, definitely not anything over 3.
If you can capture directly to file via blackmagic, uncompressed, bypassing the HDV compression, that would make the most dramatic improvement. HDV 4:2:0 has poor color information for chroma keying, whether it's progressive or interlaced.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys. Now that is two for progressive scan. I should have my screen set up tomorrow and the shoot is Friday. I should have time to do some test. Jon have you used the Black Magic Intensity HDMI capture card? If so please tell me what your work flow is.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Shoot Progressive

I've been doing a lot of Green Screen work lately - both 720p30 and 1080p30. HDV keys much better than DV so even if you don't capture with the Black Magic card you'll be okay. And shoot progressive - it's easier to get a good key.
Troy Teuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Sorry Ron. My advice regarding Uncompressed vs. HDV comes from my experience as a compositor, and working with a 4:4:4 source really does make a difference.
However the only times I have personally used the V1 for greenscreen work were on very small projects where setting up an intensity capture station was not an option, so I can't really help on this one.
Hopefully someone else will jump in.
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Jon, I think when you set the picture profile to OFF it also removes the sharpness. Can anyone confirm?
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #8
Major Player

As far as I can tell when you turn the picture profile to off you lose the ability to tune the picture at all.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Campbell View Post
I would suggest shooting in progressive for greenscreen work. It makes for better keys and less work in post. I also shoot with no picture profiles on.
My bad... I was thinking of Cinematone Gamma/Colors, which should definitely be turned off for greenscreen or any shots that you know will require significant post. Black Compensation as well. I actually keep picture profiles on so I can manually control sharpness, color level and knee point. Maybe it is better to just turn them off completely...?

I'm really not sure what happens to knee point and sharpness when you turn off picture profiles. Default for sharpness is 7 - so when you turn off PP does the camera revert to this or does it remove sharpening alltogether? Does knee point revert to "Auto" ?
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Major Player

I want to thank everyone for their input you really helped me make the decision to shoot 30p with no picture profile turned on.

The shoot went well the shots look great. As far as the key I will not be doing the compositing so that one is out of my hands. It goes off to some where in Atlanta for that.
Ron Little is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7