DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   FX7, how do I get a good DVD file from the footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/235513-fx7-how-do-i-get-good-dvd-file-footage.html)

David Stoneburner May 18th, 2009 02:05 PM

So Eric now you want to check your output settings. Make sure that you are not outputting progressive mpeg2, stick with interlaced mpeg2. Also check your bitrate for quality vs. size. A good rule of thumb that I have come across over the years is anything under 30 minutes go with CBR constant bitrate. Over 30 min VBR variable bitrate. Go ahead and set to multi-pass. It takes longer to encode but should yield a better video. Also I never set my max bitrate above 8.5mbs. Although you can go higher, I have read that some DVD players tend to choke on higher bitrates from burned DVDs.

Martyn Hull May 18th, 2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1144779)
I really should get a copy of Elements so I can check this, but in Pro you must make sure you are using a 60i preset, or else Premiere will do a horrible job of deinterlacing to 30p -- it simply throws away one field and kills your resolution, as David implied.

When I go straight from the Premiere timeline into Encore (using the Export to Encore function) and just slightly tweak the settings for higher quality, I get SD DVDs that are almost indistinguishable from Blu-Rays. Okay, you can see the difference, but even on a 65" HDTV screen it isn't dramatic. Maybe I'm just lucky in this regard.

I have a variety of Sony HDV cams, and I must say that my FX7s are without a doubt the sharpest and punchiest of the bunch.

Note that interlaced footage will always look bad on a PC screen, as your monitor was not designed to display interlaced material. You must view on a proper HDTV.

You must be watching on a upscaling player Adam, but even so i have never made DVD that came close to AVCHD or BLURAY,thats with footage from any of my cams,it could be you use better software.

Adam Gold May 18th, 2009 04:53 PM

Yes, I use a PS3 as my player, which lets me switch back and forth between standard DVD and an HD m2t file directly on the HDD for comparison. But even so, using my prior regular DVD player, I got really good results using PPro to edit and Nero to transcode/burn.

Eric Feinstein May 18th, 2009 08:55 PM

I got Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 and I'm in the process of trying it out. When I first started it it asked me what my content was (HDV) and what my output was eventually going to be and I chose Widescreen DVD. I'm looking at the Project Properties right now and I see that Video is set for NTSC DV Widescreen (720x480, 29.970 fps). Is this what I should have picked? I didn't see options like this in Premier Elements, or at least I didn't realize it was asking me what my final product was going to be.

I am confused. is it bringing the footage in as 1080i60 for editing and then already set to output a DVD?

Thanks,
Eric

David Stoneburner May 19th, 2009 10:10 AM

I'm not familiar with that software, but it sounds about right. I think it's just trying to simplify the steps for you. The 720-480 widescreen is correct but DVDs are mpeg2 not DV, unless it's talking about realtime output to a monitor.

Garry Moore May 21st, 2009 10:04 PM

DVD quality

I have not been happy with the DVD quality I have gotten from Vegas Studio Platinum 9, so I ran the same project thru Pinnacle Studio 12 and It was better. I need to check my settings, but I thought that progressive scan was better for picture quality? Maybe that is not the case....

Gerald Labrador June 25th, 2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1144779)
I really should get a copy of Elements so I can check this, but in Pro you must make sure you are using a 60i preset, or else Premiere will do a horrible job of deinterlacing to 30p -- it simply throws away one field and kills your resolution, as David implied.

When I go straight from the Premiere timeline into Encore (using the Export to Encore function) and just slightly tweak the settings for higher quality, I get SD DVDs that are almost indistinguishable from Blu-Rays. Okay, you can see the difference, but even on a 65" HDTV screen it isn't dramatic. Maybe I'm just lucky in this regard.

I have a variety of Sony HDV cams, and I must say that my FX7s are without a doubt the sharpest and punchiest of the bunch.

Note that interlaced footage will always look bad on a PC screen, as your monitor was not designed to display interlaced material. You must view on a proper HDTV.

Adam (or anyone), what settings do you use in the field order area? The upper/lower fields have always confused me. I'm using an FX7 also. And do you click the "de-interlace" box?

Adam Gold June 25th, 2009 03:15 PM

I use upper field first and NEVER check "de-interlace."

Gerald Labrador June 25th, 2009 03:30 PM

Thanks.
I will have to stop checking de-interlace.
De-interlace is required for outputting for web though, right?
Will get back to you if results are better or not.

Adam Gold June 25th, 2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Labrador (Post 1163500)
De-interlace is required for outputting for web though, right?

Yes, I think so, but I think there are better deinterlacing tools than Premiere. There are a lot of threads on this over in the editing forums.