V1 not detected by Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1
New Boot

V1 not detected by Mac

I realize this problem has probably been posted PRIOR to mine. With that in mind, I hope you'll take the time to read what I've done and suggest anything that may help me.

I recently purchased a new I-Mac with Final Cut Pro. I checked the compatibility with FCP prior to making the purchase, assuming that if it worked with FCP, it shouldn't have any issues with the Mac itself.

The version of FCP, to clarify, is the most recent version. Having hooked up the camera to the Mac, it was not detected. I did check if the camera was detected under the firewire port. No such luck.

Immediately, I went on to check every function possible from the firewire cable to the port. I hooked up my 800 speed firewire Lacie drive and that hooked up no problem. The fire wire cables themselves were checked out by with a hard drive previously. I also checked the camera with multiple computers and different fire wire connections.

I also tried some recommended settings that I found for the camera out put. Still no such luck. Please go ahead and ask me any questions or make any suggestions you can, as any help is appreciated. I have approximately 5 weddings coming up over the course of the next 3.5 months and can't afford a DV deck at this time.
Chris Barrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Trustee

If and when you can actually get the computer to see the camera at all, remember to capture using the firewire basic easy setup. For some reason my Sony stuff acts better when using firewire basic.

As to why your computer isn't seeing the camera at all I'm not sure what to tell you.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the advice. If anyone is able to help me out or I"m able to figure out what the problem is, I'll make sure to do that.
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #4
New Boot

Bad FW Port

The obvious (yet simplistic) answer is that the camcorder has a bad firewire port.
Dwain Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

It could also be that the camera menu settings are still for HDV out of the firewire port by default, whereas the software is currently configured to expect and control a regular DV stream.

Let us know if / how this resolves.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I had some similar problems initially as well. Then had some intermittent connection issues, but then my V1U to FCP connection has been rock solid since. As mentioned earlier, definitely check your camera settings and ensure that they are set to export correctly.

You can also check out this article create an easy setup that may help you:
FCP: Capture from Sony V1U Final Cut Pro

I had created an easy setup myself from a different article that was excellent, but I am not able to find it right now. However, that one may do the trick for you.

I am not at my editing system right now, or near my V1U, but I will try to repost with my specific settings later in the day if your issue has not already been resolved.

Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Jeff Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Of course, right after I posted, I found the article that I used, that includes some downloadable Easy Setup configurations, as well as some other helpful information:
http://www.moviola.com/hdv_prores

Let me know if this or the previous information solves the problem. If not, then I will pull my specific camera and FCP settings and list them for you.

I know that when I had my initial problems I had to play with these settings, as well as perform a couple of reboots to get everything working. As mentioned it has been pretty rock solid for me over the last 6-9 mos. However, it was very frustrating initially.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I was able to get to my camera and editing system earlier than expected, so I thought I would post my settings just in case it helps:

with camera in VCR mode:
In the In/Out Rec Menu:
VCR HDV/DV setting to: "Auto"
ensure iLink Convert is set to: "Off"

In my Easy Setup:
Sequence Preset: Apple ProRes 422 1440X1080 60i 48kHz (dependent upon your capture settings)
Capture Preset: HDV-Apple ProRes 422
Device Control Preset: Sony HDV FireWire
Playback Output Video: None
Playback Output Audio: Default
Edit to Tape/PTV Output Video: None
Edit to Tape/PTV Output Audio: Default
(I don't typically output the sequences back to tape)

I created a specific Easy Setup named "HVR-V1U" under the "HD" format so that I can select this when using my V1U (I created similar for my other cameras)

Granted, when I capture, it captures the tape from the current tape location on the camera, and then automatically detects scene breaks and separates those into individual clips during the capture process via log and capture, so you can't actually "log" the clips using this method, but it works well for me. It will continue to capture the entire tape, unless you press the "esc" key on your keyboard.

My process is: Connect the camera, start the Mac, turn on the camera, start FCP (ensure that the proper Easy Setup is active), select "Log and Capture" from the "File" menu, Enter a file name as requested in the dialog box, select "Capture", and you will hopefully be capturing your video.

Hope this helps. May not be the best method, but it was the one that I found works every time, and therefore I have stuck with it.
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #9
New Boot

I'm going to try those. As for the person earlier who said bad firewire port, not the case...I have a 1 TB 800 speed fire wire hard drive and that works no problem. The firewire cables that I have are also tested using a friend's hard drive.

I'm going to try some of these suggestions today and I'll post any results.

Thank you again. It's frustrating knowing the Mac should see it and isn't, so this could be a major help for me and save me some sanity.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barrows View Post
I also checked the camera with multiple computers and different fire wire connections.
And? With what result? The cam was detected or it wasn't?

If it wasn't, then Dwain's earlier diagnosis of a blown FW port on the cam seems likely (he wasn't suggesting a blown port on the Mac, only on the cam). If it was, then undoubtedly you have an issue with your Mac.

Not saying this is your issue, but the most common reason for this is mismatched settings between NLE and cam. One is usually set to HDV while the other is DV, or something similar, as Andrew suggested.

Last edited by Adam Gold; July 11th, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Major Player

Did you try going to view, then clicking "refresh a/v devices?"

I think in older versions of FCP it say "refresh camera."
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barrows View Post
I'm going to try those. As for the person earlier who said bad firewire port, not the case...I have a 1 TB 800 speed fire wire hard drive and that works no problem. The firewire cables that I have are also tested using a friend's hard drive.
Someone said it two posts earlier but I wanted to make sure you were clear about this. The "blown port" in question is on your camera, not the computer. You very well could have a dead firewire port on the camera itself.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #13
New Boot

We ended up ripping carpet in my house yesterday, so I didn't get a chance. I'm going to push to test it out after a trip to the in-laws today.

As for the port on the camera, I've connected the camera up to my old editing computer(the PC based one) and it didn't seem to have an issue, so that led me to believe it wasn't a blown port...please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #14
New Boot

Also, realized I should have mentioned the footage I'm trying to upload was shot in HD. I'm not trying to upload any HD footage at this time and want to be able to upload both.

I have both HD and non HD packages, thus I'll be dealing with both.
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #15
New Boot

Update

So I tried everything that was said, still not having any luck. Interesting note that I neglected to mention before...looking at the LCD display, it appears no solid connection can be made in all likelyhood because it's bouncing back and forth between DV IN and DV OUT.

This does NOT occur when connected to my PC, as it remains at one connection in that scenario.

The settings I have hooked up on the FCP side are what was recommended, but my concern remains the computer is not seeing the camera in the first place. Being a PC guy for so long, I'm not sure if i have to change settings somewhere else on the computer as well.

---
I should note on occasion with the settings, the camera on the computer will show up. When play is active on the camera, DV OUT blinks on the camera...no DV in, but not a solid DV out.

Last edited by Chris Barrows; July 12th, 2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Did not mention something
Chris Barrows is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7