WW2 Short Film shot on a V1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #16
Major Player

Very, very well done!

You either have the gift or you don't. Logan, you have it.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Little View Post
Logan, did you also write and direct this short?
Yes Ron - I wrote, shot, directed, edited & funded this short.

Only had 1 other guy helping for some of the shoot - but mostly was just crewed by me.
Logan McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #18
Tourist

hI LOGAN that was an awesome video, is there any way you can share me the picture profile that you use on it? and did you shoot at 24 p? tnx : )
Arvin Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Well, you have certainly done a great job! And please share your camera settings and if it is at all possible tell us about your post work as well.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Little View Post
Well, you have certainly done a great job! And please share your camera settings and if it is at all possible tell us about your post work as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvin Garcia View Post
hI LOGAN that was an awesome video, is there any way you can share me the picture profile that you use on it? and did you shoot at 24 p? tnx : )
The cameras at my office so I don't know the exact picture profile settings. But I know I have sharpness turned all the way down.....and low contrast - which I think is done through BLK Compensation = Stretch ?? I think that's the setting. I have the colour set to 1 below the middle as well.

It was shot in 25p. So - pretty close to 24p.

Post work is all done in Final Cut. I use a Colour Corrector and for most of the film just heavily desaturate it and crush the blacks a bit. I also added grain using a free plugin - but it ended up adding dust and scratches as well - which I couldn't turn off. But it didn't bother me.

Free old film plugin: Final Cut Pro / Express Plugins by Eiperle CGM

Hope some of that info is helpful.
Logan McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #21
Major Player

Logan, watched it spellbound all the way through, the cuts just flowed the story along naturally, and the great thing is i forgot that i was watching a V1 clip! I really enjoyed that.

What i found interesting was that you turned sharpness on the V1 all the way down to the lowest setting - a great example of not listening to mainstream advice!

cheers
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

"What i found interesting was that you turned sharpness on the V1 all the way down to the lowest setting - a great example of not listening to mainstream advice!"

I shot a few music videos on the Red - and one of the things I liked about it was the soft edges. I find I get similar results with the sharpness setting on the V1.
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:43 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Great Work

Logan, very creative and 1st class! I'm a fan. Garry Moore
Garry Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:46 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Water Damage

Hey Logan, how did the water damage occur? Was it dropped in water or something not as obvious? Thanks
Garry Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:26 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Moore View Post
Hey Logan, how did the water damage occur? Was it dropped in water or something not as obvious? Thanks
Was doing a shot under a fish tank. Had an actor put their face in the water. When he pulled his head out the water dripping off his hair got onto the camera. And a tiny amount got onto a circuit board frying it. It was a really small bit of water but it found the right spot.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the comments as well!
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Great film!

Logan this looks great - as someone who recently bought a new V1E this film makes me happy! Considering you did practically everything yourself, great job on getting the performance from the actor and still framing beautifully.

Cheers for the hint about turning sharpness all the way down - I will definitely be doing this!
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #27
Major Player

Logan,

Like the others on this thread my hat is off to you. Excellent piece of work and as a V1 owner made me very excited and proud about my cameras.

You obviously are a natural filmmaker. I hope you do get the opportunity to direct that feature film in 2012.

I also hope you can post your camera settings / profiles for that piece as i would like to experiment using them as a starting point.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7