Atomos Ninja and the V1U - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 2nd, 2013, 01:57 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: Atomos Ninja and the V1U

I have started this process with Atomos, who responded very quickly (overnight on Friday, UK time) to an e-mail sent via their web-site. I am now waiting for an RMA.

I did not get such a helpful response from the dealer. I suspect buying a new Ninja 1 at this late date, the unit has probably been used for display or demo at some time and the small adaptor plate has gone missing.

I too am up and running as I had a spare 12V 1A regulated charger to hand. The double Sony charger is a very useful weapon to add to my armoury.

I have got the Ninja to start and stop using a Manfrotto 523Pro remote. The only problem is that I have to use the LANC pass-through to the camera to get power to the 523Pro, and as the VIE requires a tape to be present, I end up recording to tape as well. At least I have nearly 60 unused tapes! I still need to work out a mechanical rig for the system. I intend mounting it at the back of the camera.

For hand held use I have found that connecting a LANC patch-cord between the camera and the Ninja LANC in enables start and stop of the Ninja controlled by the camera record button. So I am thinking of mounting the Ninja in a U shaped cradle under the camera, using the tripod bush to attach it.

I am really not too concerned about the monitoring capabilities of the Ninja. I chose it over the various firewire based recorders due to the enhanced video quality available as the camera compression is by-passed.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 05:36 AM   #47
Equal Opportunity Offender

Worst cast scenario, you guys can post your un-used spare to each other. :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven View Post
I have started this process with Atomos, who responded very quickly (overnight on Friday, UK time) to an e-mail sent via their web-site. I am now waiting for an RMA.

I did not get such a helpful response from the dealer. I suspect buying a new Ninja 1 at this late date, the unit has probably been used for display or demo at some time and the small adaptor plate has gone missing.

I too am up and running as I had a spare 12V 1A regulated charger to hand. The double Sony charger is a very useful weapon to add to my armoury.

I have got the Ninja to start and stop using a Manfrotto 523Pro remote. The only problem is that I have to use the LANC pass-through to the camera to get power to the 523Pro, and as the VIE requires a tape to be present, I end up recording to tape as well. At least I have nearly 60 unused tapes! I still need to work out a mechanical rig for the system. I intend mounting it at the back of the camera.

For hand held use I have found that connecting a LANC patch-cord between the camera and the Ninja LANC in enables start and stop of the Ninja controlled by the camera record button. So I am thinking of mounting the Ninja in a U shaped cradle under the camera, using the tripod bush to attach it.

I am really not too concerned about the monitoring capabilities of the Ninja. I chose it over the various firewire based recorders due to the enhanced video quality available as the camera compression is by-passed.
Let me know how the U shaped cradle works out and how you made it. I quickly received the AC plug adapter missing from my two new Ninja 1's. I don't think mine were demo units or anything like that because everything appeared to be brand new. I am guessing they don't place the adapter in the case until they know what country it is going to retailed in and somehow some went out in their generic mode without any plug adapter put in the package.

I have only tested the two units I received to make sure they worked but absolutely love them and am excited about extending the life of my two beloved Sony V1U's. Looking forward to not having to worry about changing tapes every hour in those few situations where it causes a pain in editing.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons View Post
Let me know how the U shaped cradle works out and how you made it. I quickly received the AC plug adapter missing from my two new Ninja 1's. I don't think mine were demo units or anything like that because everything appeared to be brand new. I am guessing they don't place the adapter in the case until they know what country it is going to retailed in and somehow some went out in their generic mode without any plug adapter put in the package.

I have only tested the two units I received to make sure they worked but absolutely love them and am excited about extending the life of my two beloved Sony V1U's. Looking forward to not having to worry about changing tapes every hour in those few situations where it causes a pain in editing.
Still thinking about the cradle, but I have made myself a rail structure to support my Century 2x convertor at the front and the Ninja behind the V1.

I bought a metre length of 15 mm sided U shape aluminium and cut it in half, joining the two by plates of 3 mm Aluminium at front and rear. The camera is mounted on a Manfrotto sliding plate bolted to the top surface, with a long plate to adjust for balance with/without the converter. The mounting plate for my tripod is fixed to the lower surface , held with two screws to an aluminium plate with the lower arm of the U clamped between the two plates, for adjustability.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7