HVR-V1U: Sony unveils new 24P HDV camcorder - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 19th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #31
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
will someone develop (or has someone already developed?) an HDMI->HDSDI converter box to allow uncompressed 4:2:2 digital HD recording?
Convergent Design's HD-Connect MI

http://www.convergent-design.com/CD_...DConnectMI.htm

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #32
Major Player

I watched some footage shot on an HVX200 at 1280x720 60p and I have to say it was quite amazing. It was similar to 60i video in the smoothness but it looked different. There was just some other-worldly quality about it, like looking out a window almost. I have to say I liked the way it looked more than 24p. This is all on a computer display so it was full progressive all the way. It was beautiful.

As an experiment I rendered one of my 3D animations at 60p and played it back and it had the same quality, really amazing. So my point is, good for slow mo yes, but will we ever have content delivered to us in 60p? The look of it is just nice IMHO. It looks real without having that live TV feel.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #33
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher
but will we ever have content delivered to us in 60p?
Turn on your HDTV and watch any HD broadcast on Fox, ESPN, or ABC. They're already broadcasting 720/60p. The Super Bowl, "24", "Prison Break", "American Idol", etc.

As for 1080/60p, that's what everyone has on their radar but there are no 1080/60p broadcast/delivery/transmission systems in place yet.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #34
Trustee

Definitely a step in the right direction but I will wait for bigger chips. I bet Sony has a cam a step above this coming in the next year.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #35
Contributor

I'm gonna play Bill Maher here and cite The Rule:

The Rule: It shall be illegal, immoral and otherwise unacceptable for anybody to buy this V1U and then get on the boards and whine about "how do I get shallow depth of field...."
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #36
Obstreperous Rex

Especially when all they gotta do is zoom into the telephoto end for super-shallow D.O.F.

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #37
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Definitely a step in the right direction but I will wait for bigger chips.
I wouldn't sell this camera short until you have a chance to see it in person and watch the footage on a high quality screen. We watched footage today on a big 20+ foot screen and it really blew me away. In terms of image quality and picture controls, I'd gladly trade my Z1. I really don't think you'd know that this camera had 1/4" chips unless someone told you.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #38

As Boyd said...and as I said, and as John Alpert said, and everyone else that has seen this cam...bigger ain't always better. Shallow DOF isn't hard with this cam at all, and comparing the 1/4 to 1/3...doesn't mean much overall.
Look, here's the bottom line...you can pull slide rules, calculators, opinions, and past history all you want. As far as I'm concerned, all that does is demonstrate that you're not truly in this biz for the purpose of creativity but more for being a measurebator. Wait til you see the cam before passing judgement.
For the first time in my life last year, I bought a camcorder based on marketing hype and opinion. I waited a long time for it, and was very excited to receive it. I was terribly disappointed. So rather than worry about whether the marketing hype is good, whether the feature set is bad, whether this, that, or the other thing is good, just wait n' see. Don't get caught up in the hype or excitement from the perspective of listening to me, I'm obviously in love with it, as is everyone who sees it. But that doesn't mean it's the right camera for you.
Frankly, I thought the BEST part of the day was seeing a very true to life depiction of AVCHD vs MPEG 2, and why you won't see useful AVC in any format in any professional camcorder for some time to come. The demonstration media shown was compelling, and explained a lot about why too many folks get caught up in the math and specs and not enough time looking at "real world" pictures and uses.

Boyd, it was great meeting you in person!! Same to you, Michael, it was great to meet you both. I'm tweaked tho...I didn't get a cool jacket and I think you guys did! ;-)
Chris, you missed one hell of a presentation.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #39
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
... I'd gladly trade my Z1 ...
Whoa! That says a lot right there. I'd say more, but Boyd threatened to put me to work if I ever visited Philadelphia :-)
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #40
Wrangler

Great to finally meet in person Spot! I shot still photos of those format comparison examples from Hugo's presentation and have sent them to Chris. I'm sure you'll find them online here when Chris gets a chance to catch up with things.
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot
Chris, you missed one hell of a presentation.
Yeah, by the time my wife and I finally stumbled into bed around 4am Monday morning after an all-night drive back from a thoroughly rigorous and exhausting horse show last weekend, I was thinking "this is why I had to cancel that trip to New York." We spent yesterday and most of today entirely in recuperation. Really sorry I missed this thing... I need to clone myself!

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I'm sure you'll find them online here when Chris gets a chance to catch up with things.
Sorry y'all... it'll have to wait for the morning (GMT -6).

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #43
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
...I didn't get a cool jacket and I think you guys did! ;-) Chris, you missed one hell of a presentation.
Yeah it was great to meet both of you Boyd and Spot, too bad about the jacket, but there's a jacket on the way for you Chris as soon as you send me your mailing address. And yes that was one hell of a presentation, the MPEG-2 vs AVCHD portion was quite an eye opener. I think Boyd got a lot of it with his digital camera - in between wishing his Z1 could do that :-) The presentation convinced me we probably won't see AVCHD in professional applications for a long while, if ever.
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #44
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
Whoa! That says a lot right there.
I base that comment largely on the landscape examples they were running because I love shooting that kind of thing. The PDX-10 was a good start for me several years ago with its high quality widescreen mode, but the Z1 was a big step forward. Nevertheless I always wish I could see more detail in complex scenes with trees and fields. The stuff I saw today sure looked like it was a major improvement to me. I think this camera should also be very attractive to wildlife photographers with the 20x zoom and 1.5x digital extender.
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #45
MPS Digital Studios

To follow up on what Spot said. In 2003, I bought the first "mini-hd" camera and was thoroughly disappointed. I recently sold it and am happy for that!

Test a camera before passing judgment. A room full of blogging pundits don't know what's right for YOU.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7