HVR-V1U: Download two 24P video clips shot by the V1U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #16
New Boot

One thing is sure :)
With that picture posterized you can make a good logo for VASST:
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/328...edetailas6.png
Hideaki Anno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Another clip to download:

http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...a-7a9431fe3407

Keep in mind, there's no pulldown removal, hence a slight "ghosting" that I've seen in other footage from other HDV cameras without the removed pulldown.

heath
heath - what clip does this link refer to? when I clck it, all i get is a link ack to the original article and a field to submit comments.
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #18
Major Player

There seems to be a lot of dithering in the VASST2 clip (mainly in the sky and parachute). I'm not really seeing why people are so taken by these camera's image quality yet - I feel the HV10 has a much clearer and detailed picture quality.
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ethington
heath - what clip does this link refer to? when I clck it, all i get is a link ack to the original article and a field to submit comments.
I think you need to register with them to read the article and watch the videos.
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Okay, of the three clips (including an .m2t, which had been recompressed) all have ghosted frames, with the justification that the NLE in use couldn't remove the 3:2 pulldown.

Fair enough, but there's no reason they couldn't have imported the clip into After Effects, then removed the pulldown there. Showing stuff with these sorts of artifacts does no justice to the camera's potential or the workflow. Even if the NLE software doesn't yet handle 3:2 removal, it's a trivial thing to do somewhere else.

Or, just give out a first generation .m2t and let people go at it.

Just my 2 cents...

Jim Arthurs
Jim Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
There seems to be a lot of dithering in the VASST2 clip (mainly in the sky and parachute). I'm not really seeing why people are so taken by these camera's image quality yet - I feel the HV10 has a much clearer and detailed picture quality.
That's what happens when you recompress HDV.
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs
Okay, of the three clips (including an .m2t, which had been recompressed) all have ghosted frames, with the justification that the NLE in use couldn't remove the 3:2 pulldown.

Fair enough, but there's no reason they couldn't have imported the clip into After Effects, then removed the pulldown there. Showing stuff with these sorts of artifacts does no justice to the camera's potential or the workflow. Even if the NLE software doesn't yet handle 3:2 removal, it's a trivial thing to do somewhere else.

Or, just give out a first generation .m2t and let people go at it.

Just my 2 cents...

Jim Arthurs
1. After Effects can't remove the pulldown from HDV to my knowledge.
2. We'll never upload unwatermarked clips again. We did this with the Z1 footage two years ago, and next thing I knew, we were reading on more than one website how the owner of the website "had shot these images" himself. Moreover, these images are part of a fairly large film project that has legal implications were they to show up elsewhere.

I agree, they're not optimal given that they're recompressed and include pulldown. But they're still demonstrative of what the format can do. It's too bad we can't transport the entire community to the press conference, so you'll just have to take Michael and Boyd's word that it is stunning footage, even at 36' projected.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
1. After Effects can't remove the pulldown from HDV to my knowledge.
Why not? AE isn't "hard-wired" to specific formats when it comes to 3:2 removal, like Vegas is. It doesn't need to see flagged frames. It will look for the "pattern" of the field order. If it guesses wrong, then manually choose from one of the other 3:2 pattern possibilities. Here's how, give it a go;

1.) bring clip into AE.
2.) Right click on the clip, Interpret Footage.
3.) Choose "separate fields, upper field first"
4.) Now click on "guess 3:2"
5.) Footage will be assigned a 3:2 pattern and report as 23.976)
6.) Put clip on timeline. Scrub. If you see any interlacing, go back to Interpret Footage and manually choose a different pattern. Srub again to check...

God bless Vegas, but since version 3 I've been feature requesting this more "universal" method of 3:2 removal, AND the same functionality when exporting as well. No reason you shouldn't be able to add 3:2 to an image squence, or an AVI or MOV of any flavor. But that's off-topic, however if it HAD that functionality, we wouldn't have this issue with this footage...

I understand your concern about rights and raw footage.

Regards,

Jim Arthurs
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs
6.) Put clip on timeline. Scrub. If you see any interlacing, go back to Interpret Footage and manually choose a different pattern. Srub again to check...
Also must mention that the composition needs to be created at 23.976 FPS. It's possible AE 7.0 has the proper aspect ratios preset for HDV, but if not, simply make a 1920 by 1080 comp and stretch your clip on the timeline to fit. Make sure the / toggle for high quality is enabled.

Jim Arthurs
Old September 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
I think you need to register with them to read the article and watch the videos.
I did register. the only clip I saw was the one that Chris linked to previously above (the '...VASST2.m2t' one).

was there another?
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #26
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Yes you do.

heath
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #27
Major Player

After Effects can and will remove pull-down from an m2t, provided you can get it into After Effects in the first place (it depends on what codec you have). I've done it many times. The trick (as always) is what do you recompress it to for distribution once it's a true 24p file. The options are typically wmv and h.264 - but both are recompression. Ah the dilemmas!

Another easy way to get rid of the 3:2 pull-down is to import it via Cineform's HDLink, which does pull-down reversal on capture. Incidentally, this is one of the main reasons I bought AspectHD.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #28

Tried it in AE, must be doing something wrong because it looks terrible on output. I don't use AE much any longer.
Anyway, CineForm is working just fine, so I'll be reposting shortly.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #29
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Tried it in AE, must be doing something wrong because it looks terrible on output. I don't use AE much any longer.
Anyway, CineForm is working just fine, so I'll be reposting shortly.
Spot,

People need to be signed up for the clips, right?

heath
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #30

Yes, they have to sign in/register to the site to read the tutorials, download the clips, or view the images.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7