Suprised at Sony - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:33 AM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Spot, although the FX7 doesn' have the obvious things that the V1 has (Black stretch, balanced XLR audio, progressive filming).
From what I have been able to gather, doesn't the FX7 share the same CMOS optics.
So the visual quality of the 2 cameras (when not shooting progressive) would be the same? So video shot in low light and heavily backlit situations should be identicle (again I am stating, not progressive video but interlaced).
I seem to remember seeing a link to a feature comparisson between the V1 and FX7. I've just been searching this forum for the link but can't find it (obviously not using the right keywords...) Can anyone point me to it, please?
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:36 AM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry
I seem to remember seeing a link to a feature comparisson between the V1 and FX7. I've just been searching this forum for the link but can't find it (obviously not using the right keywords...) Can anyone point me to it, please?
This might be the link:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...0-Compared.htm

or this one comparing just teh 2 cameras.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...7-Compared.htm
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM   #48
Trustee

BTW, for anyone who wants teh FX7 manual to thumb through.

Here it is:

I'm going to see if the Sony Style store have received shipment yet to take a look.

Here's the PDF manual for the FX7.
http://media.sonyhdvinfo.com/media/f...ting_Guide.pdf
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM   #49
New Boot

Quote:
If I sound a bit bitter, it's likely because I am. After having uploaded footage from 5 different cams in the past 3 years...I think I've gotten perhaps 2-3 "thank you's" and easily 50-60 gripes.
DSE, just a note to tell you that I am greatly influenced by your excellent clips and they are very significant in my selection process between the V1U and the XH-A1 cameras. Judging by your clips and Kato's, they are both excellent cameras and I think the HDD option, HDMI (for my Sony flat panel), the 30x (for birds & watersports) and the 24/30p sway me to the Sony.
So, thank you.
Neal Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:37 PM   #50

Quote:
there is a slightly more in-depth, and accurate chart of differences to be found at:
http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...comparison.htm
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:59 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Wagner
Judging by your clips and Kato's, they are both excellent cameras and I think the HDD option, HDMI (for my Sony flat panel), the 30x (for birds & watersports) and the 24/30p sway me to the Sony.
So, thank you.
Just to clarify, you meant 20x zoom..correct?
Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM   #52
Obstreperous Rex

I'm pretty sure he means 30x, which is available beyond the 20x optical zoom via the Extended Zoom feature. Unlike most digital zoom "effects," the one on the FX7 / V1 is actually quite useable.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM   #53
New Boot

30x

Yes, 30x using extended zoom means around 1100mm (35mm equivalent) -- important to me for wildlife and ocean sports shooting.
Just to put it in perspective, if I bought a $5400 500mm stabilized lens for my Canon 5D plus a 1.4x Canon lens extender I'd have 700mm (although with a lot more resolution in pixels) so HD footage with the V1U using 30x is an exciting prospect. The Canon XH-A1 does not have the digital extender, so this adds up to a V1U advantage for my uses.
Neal Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:38 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Wagner
Yes, 30x using extended zoom means around 1100mm (35mm equivalent) -- important to me for wildlife and ocean sports shooting.
Just to put it in perspective, if I bought a $5400 500mm stabilized lens for my Canon 5D plus a 1.4x Canon lens extender I'd have 700mm (although with a lot more resolution in pixels) so HD footage with the V1U using 30x is an exciting prospect. The Canon XH-A1 does not have the digital extender, so this adds up to a V1U advantage for my uses.
This is great news!

I was not aware of that feature. So it is not optical but the algorithm Sony uses is better than your typical consumer digital zoom?

You're right about it being an advantage over the A1. i have an A1 sitting in my living room right now that I bought in part due to the 20x zoom. But the Canon has a different range and it does not offer the kind of zoom I am looking for.

I should have paid better attention to the specs.

My A1 is up for sale and I will wait for the V1 in December.
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks for the links, everyone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7