stereo for V1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

stereo for V1U?

I mostly plan to use the XLR inputs to do traditional mono recording of sound. Input 1 for interview sound, input 2 for b-roll ambient sound.

But I'd also like the option to record stereo sound for some small film-type projects.

Does the V1 allow that like the Z1? I know the V1 doesn't have an onboard stereo mic. Can I buy one (such as the audio technica at822) and make my own stereo sound?

Anyone know?

Thanks.
Sal C. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #2

you can purchase any number of stereo mics from many manufacturers, and connect them/mount them to the V1U
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

does the V1 have 4 inputs?

Douglas, thanks for the reply... does the V1U have 4 inputs?

xlr 1, xlr 2 and input 3 and 4 for stereo L and stereo R?
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal C. Martin
Douglas, try for the reply... does the V1u have 4 inputs?

xlr 1, xlr 2 and input 3 and 4 for stereo L and stereo R?
No it only has 2 mono XLR inputs. So if you wanted to use a stereo microphone you would need a Y XLR cable and plug one end (the single XLR) into the mic, and the remaining 2 XLR inputs into the 2 XLR (L/R) ports on the V1.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Michael,
Let's say I just want to use the built in shotgun mono mic for ambient sound. Will it give me L+R when I play it back?

Thanks,

Sal
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #6

As Michael mentioned, the cam is two channel. The HDV spec *does* allow for four channels of 32k/12b audio, similar to DV, but thankfully, no one is using it. It's terrible in DVland, it would be terribly worse in MPEG audio format with the lower bitrate/sample rate.
As far as L+R, it'll give you two channels of mono audio if you switch the audio to do so. Or, you can run the mono shotgun on channel one, and connect a second mono mic to channel two.
Or, you can purchase a stereo mic as you asked above, and connect the two outputs from the stereo mic to channels one/two.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Michael,
Let's say I just want to use the built in shotgun mono mic for ambient sound. Will it give me L+R when I play it back?

Thanks,

Sal
If you set the V1's XLR box to CH1/CH2, then your mono signal will be recorded to both tracks. I have always found it's a good practice, to use 2 audio sources for recording, as on camera mics are essentially useless in my opinion, unless you are very close to your audio source.
So use an on camera shotgun (mono mic), and a wireless for the other source, either on an individual (using lav mic), taking a direct feed from a sound board fed diretly into your free channel (either hard cabled or wireless), or use wireless mic with transmitter (miccing another sound source, like talent with boomed mic or recording from a monitor speaker) sent to you camera.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Sound

Yea I will mostly use the mono shotgun for ambient noise and keep the talent mic (when not using it on talent) on the camera or on my belt.

as for wireless, I have found that the lectrosonics 100 series is pretty reliable but I used it on a muc bigger camera with more room for mounting the receiver.

As for microphones...I own an Electro Voice 635A mic and wonder if it's worth it to slightly upgrade to the EV RE50B (the nice looking black one).

My 635A sounds great but it's silver. I know, I know..no big deal.

I appreciate all the knowledge on this board.
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
...As for microphones...I own an Electro Voice 635A mic and wonder if it's worth it to slightly upgrade to the EV RE50B (the nice looking black one)...
Sal, you may be aware of this - same electronics and capsule in the 635 as the RE50.

RE 50 adds more wind protection, shock mounting, and heft. Generally, it deals with handling noise much better than a 635. Proven in combat, hurricanes & etc.

You could always take a black sharpie to your 635 :)

It does sound the same outside of a really strong breeze.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Stereo Mic for V1U

I have done some research and found the Edirol CS50 stereo shotgun mic to be the same size as the supplied mic and cheaper than the AT stereo mic. Also found the Y connector:

Mic:http://www.edirol.com/products/cs50/cs50.html

Y connector:http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...-XLRF5-XLRM3-2
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
No it only has 2 mono XLR inputs. So if you wanted to use a stereo microphone you would need a Y XLR cable and plug one end (the single XLR) into the mic, and the remaining 2 XLR inputs into the 2 XLR (L/R) ports on the V1.
More accurately, you'd need a 5-pin XLR to 2 3 pin XLR cable. Most stereo mics use the 5-pin configuration. Another option would be the Shure VP-88 for M-S recording or an M-S Stereo Shotgun like the Audio-Technica AT815ST. The VP-88 will be more accurate and the AT815ST will be more directional. M-S is an excellent option since you have absolute mono compatibility and can control the stereo spread after the fact if you record it un-matrixed. Of course you have to have an audio plug-in to get the L and R out of the M-S. But if you are a control freak, it's the way to go.

Additionally, let's say you use a lavalier plus the on camera mic. With a L/R mic you'll be recording either L or R so you won't be recording directly in front of the camera. With M-S you just keep M plugged into channel 1 and then the lavalier into channel 2. The CS50 doesn't seem like it allows you to output an un-matrixed signal, so it would have the same problem as a L/R mic in this scenario.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

microphones

to all, thanks for the wonderful information.

I am somewhat of a mic junkie so any recommendations are totally welcome.

I notice that the pro TV crews almost always use the RE50B in the field. While I won't necessarily copy what I see the pro crews use, to a certain extent they buy what works and what holds up.

My buddy who is an ENG photog, works at a TV station that uses Lectrosonics wireless, EV RE50B, the Anton Bauer on-camera light. etc etc.

(As an aside, his station uses the Panasonic DVC-PRO50 that uses only p2 cards and shoot 16:9 switchable with 4:3).

Thanks again. Now I can't wait for the V1 to be released!
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser
I have done some research and found the Edirol CS50 stereo shotgun mic to be the same size as the supplied mic and cheaper than the AT stereo mic. Also found the Y connector:

Mic:http://www.edirol.com/products/cs50/cs50.html

Y connector:http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...-XLRF5-XLRM3-2
Before buying a separate Y connector for the CS-50, check whether one isn't supplied with the mike. In Poland they sell this microphone complete with the required connector (stereo XLR -> 2xmono XLR)
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #14
Major Player

Edirol Connecting cable

I know the camera does come with a 5 pin XLR to two 3 pin XLR connectors but 2m (6 feet) - wouldn't that be a bit unwieldy for a camera mount ? The connector set I researched can be ordered in 12" length.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #15
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
No it only has 2 mono XLR inputs.
There are a large number of low-cost stereo mics that have a 3.5mm stereo male plug. One is a hot-shoe mount Sony Mid-Side Stereo, Electret Condenser:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=174982

WHAT IS THE DIAMETER AND LENGTH OF THE V1's BUNDLED MIC?

Depending on the answer, here is an alternative Sony mic:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg.../item/SP-PSM-3

Even cheaper AT:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg.../item/AT-PRO24

This link gets you to a Y adaptor for such mics:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...mplate=reviews

The standard length is 8-inch, but you can order shorter lengths.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7