Capturing via V1 HDMI with Blackmagic Intensity card - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 30th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
Dave,

I have the latest Kona LH drivers and could you explain how to capture XL-H1 24F HD-SDI output (24p embedded in 1080 60i) with pulldown removed upon capture?
We use the Aja Xena LH card on a PC to injest footage from the XL-H1. Cineform's Prospect HD for Adobe Premiere 2 extracts 24p from the 60i stream with no problems if you have a pc. We can also use Aja's software plugins for Adobe Premiere 2 to extract 24p from 60i but this is an Adobe Premiere function.

I'm not quite sure how this would be done on the Mac unless FCP offers an HD SDI injest function which can extract 24p from the 60i stream.

We haven't got up to speed with the Mac Pro yet. We should be in the next few months.

Cineform is the savior for PC users. I'm not sure yet what alternatives the Mac has. Before we buy an HD SDI card for the Mac we are trying to learn more about Black Magic's cards and software.

Of course if you have a Mac Pro, you can boot Windows XP and run the same software we do.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. We are still learning on the Mac.
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 04:18 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble

If you can capture to Cineform from the Intensity then that would be a very high quality and pragmatic solution. For a project based around a V1 you don't need more than a this.

TT
Cineform may work - I haven't bought into it because I've never found my current setup to be limiting. 4 SATA drives are cheap and fast and so far, reliable, and I keep mine ready for capture. RAID for the masses has arrived. In terms of investing in more codecs, I prefer to spend only where I need to. Blackmagic 8bit uncompressed is fine for when I shoot indie film scenes (especially under lit) - colour correcting HDV in post and trying to keep the grain down doesn't work well. Yes, I did say that I compress into a codec of my choosing after the shoot for that day is done. So, my setup works for me. You think that Cineform is a better solution for everyone, that's great.

Again, I don't recommend DVCPRO HD.

OpenEXR is best saved for post work after the final cut. Used in After Effects, Combustion and Photoshop - and it's compressed I might add, and a great standard, and each frame is it's own file! Very useful, plenty of reason to use it when I composite.
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Andybody going to post footage/grabs from the Intensity card? Anything at all would be appreciated!!

-pasty
Pasty Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasty Jackson
Andybody going to post footage/grabs from the Intensity card? Anything at all would be appreciated!!

-pasty

Pasty..its been a little flaky to say the least. I have to reboot to get it to recognize my camera.

I have some stuff imported..both uncompressed stuff that i captured directly with my cam connected to my puter. Also, stuff that I shot in 24p that I captured as DVCproHD..which is what I am going to be using it for.

The problem is, even with 4 gigs of space and virtually unlimited bandwith in my .mac account...the files are too large to post. Even a few seconds of uncompressed footage is 500 megs!
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell
Pasty..its been a little flaky to say the least. I have to reboot to get it to recognize my camera.

I have some stuff imported..both uncompressed stuff that i captured directly with my cam connected to my puter. Also, stuff that I shot in 24p that I captured as DVCproHD..which is what I am going to be using it for.

The problem is, even with 4 gigs of space and virtually unlimited bandwith in my .mac account...the files are too large to post. Even a few seconds of uncompressed footage is 500 megs!
Hey Daniel,
boy have you ever been on top of things with all this V1U stuff! How is the quality of the included codec (or is that a Windows only codec?)? Anyway, even some frame grabs from the uncompressed footage would be awesome. Thanks man!

-pasty
Pasty Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Daniel, you can freely post your clips on rapidshare.de or filefactory.com.

Or ask Chris, I think he's already hosted some uncompressed files (not sure of this)

Kristin
Kristin Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell

Daniel, I've got 200 gigs of server space sitting around doing nothing right now. If you (or anyone for that matter) wants to share some uncompressed Intensity footage for everyones viewing pleasure just shoot me an email. cheers.
Derek Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #38
Major Player

Daniel,

Derek says he has space - we would all love to see what you've seen! The intensity is being sold, but I've never seen any results yet. Has anyone else, from a site other than this one?
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon
Daniel,

Derek says he has space - we would all love to see what you've seen! The intensity is being sold, but I've never seen any results yet. Has anyone else, from a site other than this one?
Sorry guys..been busy trying to cut down on the 37 weddings in my editing queue.

The card has been flaky for capture. And when i have been able to capture, the quality hasn't been all that great. i am limited to only my office to capture and the footage is boring and not worth the hassle.
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #40
Major Player

Recording 24P using BM Intensity and included MJPEG codec

As far as I know, Intensity does not record 24P. However any 24P signal in output from the camera as 1080i. So does BM record without pulldown to MJPEG and then allow us to do pulldown in post ? Thanks!
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Zsolt,

You have started this thread and as far as I remember / understand, you're not so much interested in capturing a better quality LIVE output before tape, but in making your captures from tape faster, right?

Well, with all this stuff about cards and disk arrays being interesting, I can't help asking you this simple question:

- why not buy a hard drive for recording and file based, quick off-loading? The DR60 is perfec for this purpose; 4.5 hours of HDV archived on tapes and ready for drag&dropping to your Mac/PC!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7