Where are the filmmakers? [who] at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 28th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Where are the filmmakers? [who]

Okay,

who is this camera geared for? Seriously. Theres a lot of hoopla that it's for the Indie. Great.

I've seen footage. Beautiful cats, and birds, torches in the night. But nothing that looks like film. All looks like pristine documentary footage.

And most the shooters are shooting interlace. Why? { why didnt you buy the fx? and save money? ]

Half the market - E - says the camera is crippled in the P mode. Then what does Sony do ? Apparently turns up the sharpness, creating more problems, like it's totally an afterthought.

Steve Mullen posted , he thought this cam shouldnt even be considered for the dvx 100 type group - that he thought 60 i was the way too shoot. { Huh? okay Steve, fine, but how do we make THAT look like film? ]

Some say crawling ants are a problem. Others say it's the display only. Okay Sony - what displays are needed?

Film look? And no, dont please tell me to turn down the sharpness, and be happy. Even film can be razor sharp - 70 mm anyone?

I wouldnt want to buy this, then have to go through the whole magic bullet - conversion - conversion problems again and again.

Where are the filmakers. Where are the film look clips?

Sorry, this camera is losing me.
Arnold Drecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

In all fairness, I think you will have to wait a few months for any telling and/or useful footage if you are trying to evaluate the V1U. The camera only just started shipping in the US a week or so ago. I think the Pal version may have some problems which still need to be worked out.

There are, however, a number of fine cameras on the market that you can purchase today, if you have decided that the V1U is not up to your standards. And there are message boards here that support each of these cameras.

If you just want to complain, complain away, but I think you are complaining in a vacuum since most people here haven't even laid their hands on a V1U yet.

Give it some time, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't pretend to be a filmmaker. I shoot documentaries or training videos and I don't really care as much about 24p. Its cool to have on the camera but I don't have a clue how to shoot something using that mode.

I bought the camera for the CMOS sensors, AUX audio input, extra controls, and longer lens.

Maybe you should rent one for a bit and see if it suits your style. I would love to see some footage shot by someone that knows how to do the camera justice. If you know how please show us.

Chris
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
In all fairness, I think you will have to wait a few months for any telling and/or useful footage if you are trying to evaluate the V1U. Give it some time, you may be pleasantly surprised.
You are quite right. I guess I'm feeling the hype, hoopla, promise - but also the credit card burning a hole in my pocket!

I should chill out and wait. [ But if not, I would probably go with something
else ( cheaper than the v1) at this point. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico
I don't pretend to be a filmmaker. I shoot documentaries or training videos and I don't really care as much about 24p.
Thanks, Chris Medico

You've posted some wonderful footage. Props. Of course you picked the perfect cam for you.

we appreciate it.

Now - If you want to shoot 24 p, its easy!

1 Just set your V1 for 24p,
2 next select CINE GAMA 1 or 2
3 throw on your Spielberg cap,
4 and yell LIGHTS - CAMERA - ACTION!
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Drecker
Okay,

who is this camera geared for? Seriously. Theres a lot of hoopla that it's
for the Indie. Great.... Where are the filmakers. Where are the film look clips?... Sorry, this camera is losing me.
Hi Arnold. I was in the same boat you were and for the last two months and I was going back and forth between the V1U and the JVC GY-HD110U. I chose the JVC. It's tested, proven to work with FCP, no waiting for FCP, the lens is a real manual lens, and the footage is beautiful at 24P. For those reasons I spent a bit more money. But then again, some say comparing the two cams is apples to oranges. To me, I want to do a film. The JVC, in MY opinion, is more geared towards that work. My two cents worth. Good luck.
Chris Rentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rentzel
Hi Arnold. I was in the same boat you were and for the last two months and I was going back and forth between the V1U and the JVC GY-HD110U. I chose the JVC. It's tested, proven to work with FCP, no waiting for FCP, the lens is a real manual lens, and the footage is beautiful at 24P. For those reasons I spent a bit more money. But then again, some say comparing the two cams is apples to oranges. To me, I want to do a film. The JVC, in MY opinion, is more geared towards that work. My two cents worth. Good luck.

Thanks Chris,

yes finally someone who speaks my language! Sounds like you're happy with your choice. Congrats. I don't know much about that cam. All I remember is some issue, early on with it.
But I've been out of the loop till recently.

FCP not an issue for me. - still on windows.

Anyway, thanks for heads up. Will check it out. I have another thread - best BANG for the BUCK - where we're discussing 24p and the best camera for your dollar.
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #7
Wrangler

MODERATOR NOTE: Those following this thread will note that we cleaned it up a bit primarily because there was too much "rant" interjected into some of the posts. Please keep it factual and friendly. No need to slam cameras, software, computer platforms, companies, or people. Facts will speak for themselves and we can all discuss those facts in a positive, friendly way.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7