Line input problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Line input problems

has anyone else had problems with the line input. I had a shoot with 4 people on lav mics and the line output from the mixer was distorted on the peaks but it went beyond the normal range. It put an audible "hit" whenever the red peak light blinked on the mixer. Usually the tolerance is enough to allow the occasional high peak but today it was unforgiving. Hits all over the DV tape but the cassette is fine, which saved me.

I have to work on lots of out of town jobs this week so I will not be here to respond or to alert Sony of my troubles. I fixed it with a 40db pad on line output knocked down to a sony mic input but it should not be happening. I can't respond to anyone because I am sleeping or working but I can assure you I troubleshooted this like someone who has had 15 years as a broadcast shooter/editor.
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Did you try the input level trim in the audio menu which allows three increments 0, -8 and -16db? The input is rated between +4dbm to -60dbm. I hope this helps.
Lee Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Lee, those built in pads only work with mic inputs. I think this must be a bug because I have used this mixer (Shure 367) with several rentals and a borrowed fx1 and never had an issue. I have always been in the camp that you should go line input when available, a more robust signal. That might be old school now. I am using a work around mic solution with a 30db pad plus the -16db in cam with success so I will not send my camera in until closer to the end of the warranty, when I have a multiweek vacation and can afford to be without. I don't have much for back-up except rentals.
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Jerry, You are correct. The manual says that the pad only works on the mic setting. I was misled by the fact that you can still adjust the pad after selecting line level. Perhaps they should have grayed out those settings when you choose line.
Lee Berger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7