HVR-V1E Capture Problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 18th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #16
New Boot

Capturing problems on the V1

hi again,

Zsolt, I really hope your not implying the problems are system/peformance based, as the different systems used and tried testify that this is not the case. I have dealt with many HDV projects on my G4 1.5GHZ 12 inch as well as much faster tower systems that I have also had the problem on.

I have also been testing the Device Control Presets as suggested by Tony. I have just finished going through each one, changing and saving settings/project before quitting FCP and then going back on, rechecking settings are still on most recent resetting befre closing (which they have been) and then attempting capture. NO LUCK. So unfortunately the most rigorous application of the device control workaround is failing too. Any other ideas??? It seems I am running out of settings to tweak, so it either comes down to hardware or software... any takers on that gamble?

Thanks again guys.
Nick
Nick Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #17

These "little problems" are essentially all "pilot error."
We have a collective of 21 computers here, both older and new Apple, and older and new PC, laptops and desktops, MacBook Pro, everything but Vista.
No problems of ANY kind getting any computer to see the cams.
Drivers are included in the Windows and Mac OS's.
If you have XP with service pack 2, it's automatically loaded. If not, or if you're using a pirate version of Windows, you need to point the cam to the Sony DVHS drivers. That's it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #18
Major Player

Giving this further thought, I remember in particular from the Canopus threads that some guys found out that the downloadable SP 2 pack did NOT
load the drivers needed for the HDV cameras, you had to upgrade to SP 2 from an actual SP 2 upgrade CD to fix the problem.

maybe Microsoft fixed this, but it's worth a thought.

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #19
New Boot

V1 not Z1

HI there Douglas,

Thanks for your feeback. Two things though. Firstly we are having problems with the V1, have you had experience with this cam? It's a brand new model and obviously new releases always have the potential for new problems even on basic functionality. On that note too, obviously by the intermittent nature of of the problem then the drivers are present, so not sure what else you can do but try different device control settings within FCP. Secondly, if you can think of any other pilot controlled steps that can be taken, then please let me know what they are as I have been using FCP on a Mac since version 2 and not had such a persistent problem despite all suggested work arounds. Looking through the posts above what else can we try?

Yours sincerely, Nick

ps Vaughan, I am also from Melbourne but living in London. Do you think the V1 has been popular in Melb?

Last edited by Nick Fernandez; March 19th, 2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fernandez View Post
hi again,

Zsolt, I really hope your not implying the problems are system/peformance based, as the different systems used and tried testify that this is not the case. I have dealt with many HDV projects on my G4 1.5GHZ 12 inch as well as much faster tower systems that I have also had the problem on.

I have also been testing the Device Control Presets as suggested by Tony. I have just finished going through each one, changing and saving settings/project before quitting FCP and then going back on, rechecking settings are still on most recent resetting befre closing (which they have been) and then attempting capture. NO LUCK. So unfortunately the most rigorous application of the device control workaround is failing too. Any other ideas??? It seems I am running out of settings to tweak, so it either comes down to hardware or software... any takers on that gamble?

Thanks again guys.
Nick
Have you tried capturing using the AIC preset?

Do you have DVHSCap installed? Try capturing with that. It can be downloaded from the Apple developers site. It is in the Firewire SDK. You'll be able to check that you can capture from the camera.

What version of FCP and OS X are you using? What are you capturing DV or HDV 50i or 25Psf. In the pre-updated V1 I had it made a difference which HDV driver I was using for 25Pscan and 50i. After the firmware upgrade the same HDV worked for either mode. It is not always pilot error.

Just a few ideas to float out there...

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #21
New Boot

V1 capture issues

Hi Tony,

I am using FCP 5.1.4 and OSX 10.4.9. I am working with both 25p and 50i fooatge across the project but now need to look just at 50i for the rest of the capture. Previously both formats have captured fine. Hopefully the update will sort me out? I'll have to chat to Sony at the same time about this capturing issue I guess. In fact why not call now.

Also, I am downloading the ADC Firewire SDK but without yet looking at it, Can you tell me what it does before I install it? Just want to know what sort of trouble I could get into, if you know what I mean.

Nick
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:

Also, I am downloading the ADC Firewire SDK but without yet looking at it, Can you tell me what it does before I install it? Just want to know what sort of trouble I could get into, if you know what I mean.

Nick
Just puts a FirewireSDK directory in the developers directory on your HD. Inside that directory there are a host of FW apps including DVHSCap.app.

I was a bit worried too when I installed it but it's nothing to worry about. No bad effects my end.

BTW I am using same FCP and OS X versions as you. No problems here on Macbook Pro.

TT
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #23
New Boot

Developer tools

Hey there,

Sorry to be a pain but I am not sure what I need to do with these tools? Are they just utilised automatically by the system, or do I need to do something?

Nick
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hey there,

Sorry to be a pain but I am not sure what I need to do with these tools? Are they just utilised automatically by the system, or do I need to do something?

Nick
click n run.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #25

Nick, I don't know what to add to the discussion here in terms of pointers; everyone has asked all the right questions and offered the same tips I would.
Yes, I have a lot of experience with the V1, I'll dare say probably more than anyone on the planet, given that I had a pre-production model going back to August 06. I also did the Sony V1 Training DVD. And have a couple MacBooks.
Follow the tips you see here, and that should set you right up.
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #26
New Boot

Stringency

Hi,

Well at the end of the day I have tried all these suggestions, with variations on those suggestions, trying to apply the greatest stringency possible to my method. I am as sure as I can be that I have tried all methods suggested with the most cautious approach possible and yet I have yielded no results. How can it possibly be so difficult to do such a simple thing? The answer is obviously that it just should not. There is no excuse for this kind of technological anomaly.

So I am giving up and trying another deck or camera, and waiting to get this V1 back from the upgrade and Sony support taking a look at the same time. I dont hold my breath though, as support say "iLink either works or doesn't work", which is complete and thorough nonsense. I really don't have the money to pay for a deck so I am pretty stuck now. Please try and keep your ears out on fixes for this and update the thread if any news comes through. Thanks to everyone for your effrorts.

Fernandez

PS. As the V1 pro it's a shame we are not in the same country Spotted Eagle! Your knowledge may have been mopre useful.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #27

I don't know that you've tried different cables? Reading through the entire thread, nothing has been said about cables...
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #28
New Boot

Cables...

Hi there,

I bought a new FW cable yesterday morning... one of those pricey gold plate numbers... you know the BLING range of FIREWIRE, unfortunately no diamonds though!

Nick
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Nick,

Do you have a other Firewire Device connected to you computer?
Is this working properly?

Then try this:

Unplug this FW cable from this device (Camera, Deck) and plug it in the V1
(in OFF, something to do about electrical shock)

Then start V1

The self installation process starts in XP
(Wouldn’t know how it is in Apple, sorry)

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:33 AM   #30
New Boot

Electric Shock Therapy

Hi guys,

I tried some variants on this power switching thing and managed to capture about 40 minutes worth of footage. Then it all collapsed again and stopped working. Was a critical interview I was missing at least! I then tried various repowering options and some tapes recorded much later. Still no movement. Looking closely at the capture, it seems like things go ok and then the image in the capture window seems to fall further behind then pixelates giving that nasty cyborg look in the moving part of the image, forcing the capture window message to switch to "searching for media". So it feels like it is the extra information processing required for motion/changing images that is freaking out the capture. Also there are som repeated habits in the capture durations. Often the first clip in a capture now comes up as 3:09 then all proceeding clips come up as 2:24. This happened 2 or more times each on two differnt tapes. I guess these two observations side by side are suggesting there is no significance in either of them... or is that in both of them... Or am I just train spotting? Or does anyone think this is significant?

Really frustrated with this, thinking about buying a new Hard Drive to test on???

Regards, Nick
Nick Fernandez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7