hard drive capabilities? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 4th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

hard drive capabilities?

Hey guys...

I was reading the Sony V1E review from Nigel Cooper on dvuser.co.uk, and it seems the camera uses "Sony’s EIP (Enhanced Imaging Processor), which is used to process the recorded signals at 1920x1080p 4:2:2." Is there any way to capture this straight from the camera onto a hard-drive? The camera is capable of recording straight onto a hard-drive, right? I can't remember where I read this, but I'm sure I have read it. This is probably a dumb question, so I'm sorry to have to ask it...

On another issue: I know there have been lots of discussions about progressive and interlaced, but could someone do a short refresher for me? I live in a PAL area, so I'd have the choice of 24p, 25p, and 50i if I bought a V1. What do people like about 50i? Under what shooting circumstances is it best to use 50i? Ditto RE 24p and 25p... Given the supposed problems with progressive mode on the V1, would I be advised to just forget about p and stick with i?

I like Nigel's review, but he seems to be a bit of a Sony fan, and he doesn't use Canon cameras that much... could anyone recommend a review of the Canon A1 from a Canon fan?

Like many people here, I'm trying to chose between the V1 and the A1. Having read through a lot of threads on this site, one interesting observation I've made is that a lot of Sony fans are looking at the A1, but very few Canon fans are looking at the V1...

Best wishes - Lizi
Lizi Hesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Trustee

The V1E/P only gives you the choice of 25p or 50i, no 24p. If you want that range of options you need to look at the Canon, with an extra mod.
The HDD recording you're most likely thinking of is the DRU60, only HDV. You could record from the HDMI output directly to HDD via the BMD Intensity card at 4:2:2. That setup might cost more than the camera.

50i is standard PAL, certainly better than 25p for anything fast moving like sports.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob. Glad to know I wasn't dreaming about the HDD... although I was obviously dreaming about 24p... makes sense though, 24 and 25 being so close together.

For people (as opposed to animal) orientated documentary work - fly on the wall, lots of different arenas of action, fast changes in pace, lighting, sound space, etc. - what would you recommend? The V1 filming in 50i?
Lizi Hesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizi Hesling
For people (as opposed to animal) orientated documentary work - fly on the wall, lots of different arenas of action - what would you recommend? The V1 filming in 50i?
Definitely 50i. Not only does 50i eliminate "motion judder" (a nasty artifact of 24p/25p) you can edit in any NLE. Right now only Vegas supports 24p/25p.
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Definitely 50i. Not only does 50i eliminate "motion judder" (a nasty artifact of 24p/25p) you can edit in any NLE. Right now only Vegas supports 24p/25p.
You forgot Premiere and Edius, Steve.
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant
You could record from the HDMI output directly to HDD via the BMD Intensity card at 4:2:2. That setup might cost more than the camera.
Bob, I am not sure I can share your opinion on the costs. The setup above requires the Intensiy card (cheapest in the BMD line, $249) and a RAID setup.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

It should not be more expensive than the cam, if you have an e-SATA card for the RAID.
Unfortunately the Intensity comes only in PCI-e flavor, so I can't use it with my G5. But I have all the rest for the described setup and the price was quite OK, it varies according to the hard drives you use.
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
You forgot Premiere and Edius, Steve.
Neither of those apps have full support for 24pGOP at this time.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Neither of those apps have full support for 24pGOP at this time.
I understood we're talking 25p, Douglas.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7