Anyone here plan to submit a V1U-based project for TV broadcast? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #16
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Your footage still has a much better change of being accepted originating from the HVX200 than any other camcorder under 10,000 dollars.
You should know that if you shoot 24PN using the HVX, the actual compression-ratio is HIGHER than if you shot 720p24 HDV -- as in the commercial shown during the Superbowl.
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
Then there is a burning question popping up: why are these cameras called as "professional"? They are HD, they are called professional, yet in professional broadcasting they are not recognized.
I think they're legitimately called professional in some areas of work and are going to really take off in areas such as wedding videography, but it's only recently dawned on me that, commercials aside, you couldn't seriously base a production facility creating documentaries and wildlife work aimed at a major TV channels such as PBS and Discovery/History etc. solely on HDV. As Brett has mentioned above, I'm also now looking to acquire an F330/lens XDCam kit, otherwise I'm locking out major potential buyers. I could quite see myself using the V1U for shots where a smaller, high quality cam is needed for inserts and where hauling around a twelve pound XDCam is not practical.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
I'd like to see credible evidence to support this statement. I am in possession of internal documents from more than one national broadcaster that places the HVX either on par with, or in a lesser capacity to, HDV. Having had personal discussions with many of these broadcast engineering teams, the same thing is voiced, both in Canada and the US.
On the other hand, I'm also aware of those same broadcasters having Sony and JVC camcorders in-house, being used for production in several situations.
Certainly not a primary cam, but...
Additionally, the shootouts by all parties biased and non-biased have placed all of the camcorders on par with each other, with very small subtleties between them.
Since the HVX is not a primary cam for us in any event other than needing overcrank, it's not fair for me to say that we've only had one HVX piece go to national vs dozens of HDV pieces, but we've had a LOT of HDV pieces going to air, part of a Superbowl spot being one of them, and an upcoming commercial being one of them.
My example was mainly for using the HVX200 as a B camera to coexist with much higher end cameras in programs from both the Discovery HD and the History channel. I didn’t mean every channel since this thread is about giving footage to the Discovery HD channel.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #19
Trustee

it never fails to amuse me that people expect the same results from a $7k camera as they'd get from a $20+k one.

nor for that matter, it doesn't how hard you try, dv / hdv never quite looks like 16mm.

i can spot hdv shots in a high end production with no problem - simple resolution. softer, not quite 'right'.

but, i guarantee you - shoot a unique, once in a lifetime event on dv, let alone hd, and discovery, history, et al will buy the material - padding it out with gorgeous hd talking heads, expensive animation and cg elements....

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand
shoot a unique, once in a lifetime event ... and discovery, history, et al will buy the material
You can say the same thing about a special event uniquely caught by a low res phone camera - it immediately becomes important footage regardless of imaging issues - but that doesn't go to the issue of V1 general use for TV broadcast commissions.

I do think cams like the V1U will be very popular for ultra-low budget indie movies and weddings.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
You can say the same thing about a special event uniquely caught by a low res phone camera - it immediately becomes important footage regardless of imaging issues - but that doesn't go to the issue of V1 general use for TV broadcast commissions.

I do think cams like the V1U will be very popular for ultra-low budget indie movies and weddings.

a volcano exploding on a mobile phone would make headlines, captured well on dv it could be the basis for an hour long, suitably enhanced, 'doco'...

i wouldn't limit it to just those examples, well thought out doco's that don't require 'money shots' al la discovery, are regularly shown on national broadcasters here. then again, australia in general prefers thoughtful, let alone beautiful doco's - no flames please - i get paid for shooting sd 4:3 for a national broadcaster - though they want 16:9 by end of year.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn

The bottom line really comes down to the bottom line. There ain't no free lunch. *if* your primary target is Discovery, then you'd better plan on shooting only XDCAM, Varicam, HDCAM, HDCAM SR, or open a very large piggybank and move up from there. Camcorders like RED et al might change that, we'll have to wait and see. If you have the only content anyone can get their hands on and it happened to be shot in HDV, on a cell phone, or with an old VHS recorder, it'll get it's 15mins of fame no matter what. The cell vid of Hussein's hanging demonstrated that already, in more depth than we need to discuss.
That said, we've already aired V1 footage on CNN, ESPN, ESPN 2, MTV, and more for more than one event shot with the V1. That's not our target market, it just happens that it all worked out that way. We process it fairly heavily in post as well, but we'd do that with most things, as most folks do.
HDV, HVX, etc all have their place. You're not going to get a quarter of a mil broadcast contract or package shooting HDV exlusively, unless there is a reason for it, such as say....skydiving or other extreme sport where the danger of the sport affects the choices in camcorders. American Chopper uses Z1's on occasion, so do other Discovery productions. It demonstrates the cams work well in those realms, but...no one is giving up their Varicams, HDCAMs, or XDCAMs anytime soon.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7