V1 25p footage best compresion for output on DVD / DV. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Tourist

V1 25p footage best compresion for output on DVD / DV.

Hi all,

Need a bit of help on this one. I've just finished a documentry that is going to be shown in FICCO (Mexico City Int. Film fetival) and they have asked me to deliver it on a DVD or DV. The finished version will be shown in a cinema.

It is 20mins long and was shot on a V1E at 25p. I captured and edited in FCP using the HDV-1080i 50 easy setup. What should I do that will give me the best final output? Should I print to tape onto my V1E using the DV SP mode? To do this will I have to create a DV sequence and re-render? Or, should I try and use Compressor and if so what settings have worked with others in the past? I have a 1ghz Dual Core G5 with 2gb ram. The last thing is....I've only got 24hrs to do this!!

Thank you

Charlie.
Charlie Targett-Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Targett-Adams
The last thing is....I've only got 24hrs to do this!
No pressure then.

The fastest way is to put your HDV composition onto a DV timeline, render and lay off (print to tape). Quick and dirty, and it may well do.

If delivering on DVD, I'd export the HDV to something like a DVCPro-50 timeline and let compressor do its job from there, but you're right at the edge of timing. I'd prefer this over going to DV if your edit contains graphics or strong coloured lighting as DV isn't kind - especially if you're going from NTSC DV to NTSC DVD - 4:1:1 to 4:2:0 is like shaving with a cheese grater.

With 24 hours to deliver 20 mins, now is not the time to experiment with workflows... :o) Best of luck!
Matt Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7