Matching the V1 with a PD150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 8th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Matching the V1 with a PD150

I'm about to do a 2 camera shoot using a PD 150 and it looks like the 2nd camera will be a V1, which I neither own, nor have used. I probably won't get my hands on it til the day of. At least one camera (the PD150) will be projected for a live audience. My questions:

With the V1, if I shoot in either DV or DVCAM, is the 4:3, a true 4:3 aspect ratio or must I crop it later in post?

If cropping is required, how clearly do the markers on the viewfinder show the 4:3 frame

How will the resolution in DV/CAM 4:3 compare with that of the PD 150.

How will the 2 camera's compare in terms of latitude, low light capabilities. I'm assuming the V1 in HDV mode has better latitude and needs more light, but does this change when you go with SD?

Basically, whats the feasibility of matching them?

Any input on settings for the V1 would be great,

Thanks very much
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Trustee

I owned the VX2000 which is the sister camera to the PD150. I now own the V1. These are very different cameras. The V1 is superior in every way to the PD150 except for low light sensitivity. You would need to degrade the V1 image to get a match between the cameras.

More importantly than the disparity between image quality is the fact that I don't think the V1 can output 4:3 video live. In fact, my V1 didn't even come with a composite output.

If you want to match the look, try to desaturate the V1 and increase the sharpness so much that you start to get sharpening filter artifacts. You could also try to increase the green by changing the color shift in the V1. This is really only something you will be able to accomplish by spending time with both cameras and adjusting their results in the computer until you find something suitable.

I think the easy answer to your question is that the V1 is very much an HD 16:9 camera and you will need to fake everything to get it to match the PD150.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
More importantly than the disparity between image quality is the fact that I don't think the V1 can output 4:3 video live. In fact, my V1 didn't even come with a composite output.
Marcus, there is no separate composite output on the V1 (not a separate one as with the Canon A1), but you can output live through S-video. All you need is replace the supplied A/V cable with its 4-lead "upgrade" from Sony; it has both the composite and S-video leads. The Sony's HVR-A1 comes with such a cable; I'll never understand why Sony doesn't provide it with the V1, even though the S-video is there on board!
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. I realized of course that the V1's image would have to be degraded and good to know that the 4:3 could not be output live via firewire. That would be essential. I thought this matching wouldn't work but felt I should check it out.

A local retailer I spoke with pointed out that the simple fact of one camera having CMOS and the other CCD's would be enough to a make a good match impossible.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7