V1 legendary latitude: Black and Knee settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 14th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #1
Inner Circle

V1 legendary latitude: Black and Knee settings

Please explain me the theory behind it, cause my experiments yield inconsistet results: in order to get the maximum latitude, should I allow the High setting for the knee, or on the contrary - limit it to Low, to avoid white-outs? The Blacks should be stretched, I'm pretty shure...TIA!
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Major Player

There is an article here http://digitalcontentproducer.com/hd...titude_111106/ that I thought was useful.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Mark - so it seems one should get the biggest latitude with Knee low, and Blacks stretched. This sounds logical; I'll check it tomorrow!
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

typical use for high knee setting

The longer I use my V1E, the better I like it; however there are a couple of things that seemed obvious at first sight, and when you know more they become no to so obvious at all...

Like this one: since - in order to get the widest latitude - we set black stretch and knee low, what is a typical use of other knee postitions (middle or high)? While changing the black compensation is very easy to see in the VF/LCD, it's not so easy to spot any difference with changing knee setting - what is the theory? And again, typical use for high knee setting?
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
what is a typical use of other knee postitions (middle or high)?
Use HIGH on overcast days to add sparkle.

Use MED to keep constant setting for normal situations.
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve,

With Canon, using Auto knee setting worked well for me, however it needed some time to "make up its mind"; how does the V1's auto knee setting perform from your experience?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7