Max Highlight Doprout Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Max Highlight Doprout Problem

Hi all,

With footage shot and captured on the Sony V1 I am seeing that in some image sections (all have been around the edge of the frame so far), where the whites hit/cross their peaks, that there is some kind of digital dropout in that section of the image? I'll add a link to a video or still for you to look at and compare. I found it in all sorts of images but only contained to the blown out sections of an image.

Let me know if you have seen anything similar.

Nick
Nick Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Of course there is no information in highlights. That's just what happens when something goes outside the exposure range of any digital camera. Pure black clips at 0,0,0 and pure white clips at 255,255,255 and there will be nothing but pure white or black in areas out of the camera's range. All camera mediums, CMOS, CCD, and even film have exposure ranges.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:59 AM   #3
New Boot

Digital Dropout

HI there,

I guess I need to put a clip up as I am not explaining myself properly... I am not talking about just maxing into the white with no info, but the video aactually generating nasty glitchy video dropouts in the highlight... looks like blue glitchy pixelation that remains thought out the shot but kind of changings form to fill the hottest parts of the image... ahh, guess I just need to get a clip up...

Thanks, Nick
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:06 AM   #4
Trustee

That sounds weird. Definitely post some footage.

Don't be mad at me for asking, but I want to make sure you aren't talking about something like zebra bars. This does show up on tape, right?
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Can't speak for the V1, but on any of the three Sony DV cameras I've ever used (PD-150, VX1000, DSR-DC35) zebra bars NEVER get recorded to tape.
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Trustee

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure that this was a problem that is getting recorded and not just zebra bars or peaking indicator.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:09 AM   #7
New Boot

Footage

Hey,

Don't mind a silly question asked with humility! No, this is looking at captured footage and I never have the peaking indication on - it is also inconsistent unlike the indicators. I did an export to upload and the artifacting disappeared at DV res. So I guess I need to make an m2t. One other thing (that I should know after working in web streaming for a year) how are you guys posting clips?

Nick
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Nick use rapidshare.com

It's free!

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Trustee

I have an idea.

How are you watching the footage? Since it didn't seem to happen on captured footage, maybe the V1 is going outside the range of your TV. Since the V1 can probably capture up to 110IRE, it may be something between your devices. Computers don't care about IRE levels.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM   #10
New Boot

Not sure if your problem is the same as mine...but I am getting MAJOR dropouts(digital pixelation) on ALL of my tapes.

I have found it most prevelent when I move the camera rapidly, or go from one extreme to the other, ie, pan from a blue sky to a building...then the first few frames of the building will have rectangular pixels of blue sky implanted in them...

I am working with sony to diagnose and solve this....thus far they have no answers for me...

But I assure you, it IS happening and it IS NOT a minor thing...
Eric Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:37 AM   #11
New Boot

More strange

Hey there,

I tried to output a sample for you guys to see but it disappears when I export the video (even using "current settings" on HDV). I then tried opening in Quicktime and its not there. I tried re capturing the same footage - visible in FCP and not quicktime. SO it is only visible in FCP on my monitors. I dont have broadcast monitor here but I guess I need to get onto one to see if it is going to persist and cause probs. Maybe I'll just see if it ends up a problem in the edit then troubleshoot.

Any ideas on this?

Nick
Nick Fernandez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7