which bag for the V1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 1st, 2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Inner Circle

which bag for the V1?

I'm considering either the Kata CC-193 (cheaper and universal in size) or the Sony LCS-G1BP (more expensive, tailored for the V1).

Any suggestions from actual users?
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Piotr I have the Kata cc-193 works great lots of room for extra batteries etc.
I use it as a carry on when I travel as an extra precaution I always wrap the cam with bubble wrap.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Brian,
When the V1 goes inside with the microphone on, is it safe? I mean, the Kata seems a bit soft in the upper part...
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Major Player

I've got one, it looks soft, but the sides and top are actually somewhat stiff. It has a little seat belt for the camera to keep it from bouncing around, and a large outside pocket good for batteries and what not. I wish there were a couple of zippered pockets on the inside, oh well... It's quite adequate for normal use. If you want to throw it out of an airplane, drive over it with a truck, or use it to pound spikes you should probably look at a metal case.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr,

We use the Porta Brace CS-DV4U and there is plenty of extra room with the V1. It also comes with 2 pouches that are great for lenses or cables. It also has a cradle that can be moved and velcro attached to the bottom, so the camera doesn't bounce around.

Hope you are doing well !
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Piotr,

I use two Kata models: MC-61 and HB-207 backpack. If you want to bring along accessories, smaller bags than these wont be enough.
In fact you can't even carry the cam with the microphone mounted on, even in these big bags :(
Consider extra lenses, batteries, microphone, cables, filters, maybe matte box... You will need a big bag.
Both of the models support the trolley made by Kata - it is very cool.
Also both suitable for handluggage on planes, I tried (although it is very easy to fill more than 10 kgs inside...)
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Piotr

TAKE A LOOK at this Shell bag from Kata it fits the FX1 and V1 I am going to order one and try it out.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Piotr

TAKE A LOOK at this Shell bag from Kata it fits the FX1 and V1 I am going to order one and try it out.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1
Brian,

DO NOT take the SHELL-03 model; I tried it - it's way too small, and the "reinforced" shells are not stiff at all. I think the Bag Chooser on Kata site has got a serious error here, as it says it is a "best fit" for even Z1 - far from it!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM   #9
New Boot

I also use the Kata HB-207 backpack. It is big. But just barely big enough for the V1 and its accesories (shotgun microphone, batteries, len attachment, Lanc controller, DR-60 etc.).
Brian S. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Piotr I have the Kata cc-193 works great lots of room for extra batteries etc.
I use it as a carry on when I travel as an extra precaution I always wrap the cam with bubble wrap.
Brian, I've just got my Kata cc-193 as well, and - while satisfied with the overall design and quality - have one doubt: why is the bottom so soft? In fact, it's softer than the side walls, so that when putting on the floor, you almost feel the camera bumping against it!

Are yours the same, or is mine defective?
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #11
New Boot

The bottom of my Kata HB-207 backpack isn't that soft. Just in case, and because it fits, I put one of the re-arrangeble pads along the bottom of the large camera compartment (the viewfinder rests on the top inside edge of the pad). I think this backpack provides considerable protection. Not sure I wouldn't worry if I checked in on a plane, but otherwise...
Brian S. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #12
Trustee

I got the Petrol PCUB-1N/PRC-DV U-Bag 1N that is a recommended accessory at B&H. It seems to work just fine and it also comes with a rain cover that fits the V1. This may be a bag designed for the PD170, but the form factor is so similar that it works. The bag has a reasonable amount of adjustability so everything works. I unplug the mic before putting it in the bag because the mic cord gets bent at too much of an angle if it is left attached. The stock mic should have been made with a right-angle XLR connector.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S. Nelson View Post
The bottom of my Kata HB-207 backpack isn't that soft. Just in case, and because it fits, I put one of the re-arrangeble pads along the bottom of the large camera compartment (the viewfinder rests on the top inside edge of the pad). I think this backpack provides considerable protection. Not sure I wouldn't worry if I checked in on a plane, but otherwise...
We have had equipment broken in hard cases on airlines. Checking a soft bag would be bad. Probably order a new camera bad.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #14
Trustee

The Petrol bag I have works for airline travel because, in the rare event the overhead bins are full, I can put the camera under the seat in front of me. The bag is just flexible enough to squish under the seat and it's even easier unzipped. After takeoff, I pull the bag back and put my feet under the seat. A friend uses this same bag for the FX1, so it is plenty big enough for the V1. A case I used for the VX2000 (same size as V1) was the larger of the two Doskocil airtight hard cases. The Pelican 1550 works for cams up to the Z1 and is the same size. Both just fit in normal overhead bins, but would not work under the seat. I think a critical airline size for hard cases is to keep the height under 10" so it will fit in the bins. It also can't seem too large overall or the crew and other passengers will get pissed.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7