V1 colour tweaking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 11th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #1
Inner Circle

V1 colour tweaking

The V1 picture has beautiful colours, with reds and greens rich and juicy - especially in cinecolour mode. However, tweaking it is a bit limited - with only 2 parameters available: hue (green vs red) and WB shift. What I'd like to achieve is some more blue sometimes, so that he sky is deeper blue, the distant woods seem bluish rather than greenish, the snow with blue reflexes, etc. Of course, one can add some blue cast with WB shifting, but this makes the picture cold - and I'd like it to stay warm, with whites still white...Is it possible at all?

I've tried all combinations of hue shifted towards green and WB both colder and warmer and got some beautiful results; however could not recreate this nostalgic, green-blue cast on water and sky and land, and even the air...

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; April 11th, 2007 at 03:42 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Why not try a UV-filter?

Would also protect your lens front

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Why not do most of your color correction in post? That seems to work well enough for me.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ha, ha - when writing my post, I should have added:

Any suggestions, other than filter and post?

Thanks, anyway:)
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Volki View Post
Why not try a UV-filter?

Would also protect your lens front

volki
Max, is there a filter kit (or just an UV filter) that fits the V1 with the lens hood/lens cup still on?
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Piotr,

I have a friend using a Z1E

He keeps the UV-filter on, all the times.

(Übrigens filme ich konsequent immer mit einem UV-Schutzfilter (zum Schutz des Objektivs).

UV-filters, as you might know, will give you a much better structured and “darker” blue sky, especially if there are some white clouds around

I tried to order a packet of filters and a .65-WW-adapter from “schneideroptics”. (ex-century) They will have the V1-line ready in 60-90 days. In this packet I have included a UV filter. But I had no chance to test it

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Volik, but this doesn't answer my question: which solution allows for permanent UV filter and the lens hood/cap(shutter) on the camera?

I also have one more doubt: do the outdoor (daylight) WB preset shift (-7 to +7) add to that already in the picture profile, or are they exclusive. Suppose I'm using a PP with WB shift =-7; when I shoot with AWB=outdoor preset-7 (on the dial), will the resulted WB shift be -14 towards cold (blue)?
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #8

All UV filters that are thread-mount will go on the lens with the hood intact.
You never want a UV filter beneath your wide angle adapter.
There are different grades of UV filters, you get what you pay for.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Do the outdoor (daylight) WB preset shift (-7 to +7) add to that already in the picture profile, or are they exclusive. Suppose I'm using a PP with WB shift =-7; when I shoot with AWB=outdoor preset-7 (on the dial), will the resulted WB shift be -14 towards cold (blue)?
I've just experimented a bit and it seems they actually do add! With WB shifted all the way left (cold) in PP, turning it down with the dial (with daylight preset on) makes the picture even colder (almost monochrome), while turning it up towards warmer values ends up with a more or less neutral temperature (-7 + 7 = 0). Can anyone confirm this?

Spot,

Thanks for your hint. Which UV filters are recommended for the V1?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7