HV1U frame rate/shutter combo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM   #1
New Boot

HV1U frame rate/shutter combo?

Hi all, since I am giving up on using 24p on my shoot the 5th of may (because FCP doesnt support it yet for the v1u, and i dont feel like doing a shoot then "tricking it to work" I am going with the default 1080i 60 (since there is a FCP easy set up for this)

I heard some talk about doubling your shutter number for whatever framerate you are using.

as in, for 24p, use 1/48th for shutter

Someone was complaining about not getting proper slo motion NOT doing this.

anyway, Im I right to believe I should be shooting at a shutter of 120?

thats a little fast I would think?

Maybe I am way off the mark, hey all I wanna do is do my shoot and edit the way I normally do with DV, export it as a quicktime movie, use compressor and use make a DVD5

i am soooo tired of worrying about all this stuff, I just want to concentrate on my content and not numbers

Thanks so much
Keith Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Keith,

I believe the shutter speed you are looking for (when shooting 60i) is a shutter speed of 60 (I know this doesn't go with the 'double' format, but I'm pretty sure this is the 'standard').

If I'm incorrect (then I've been doing it that way for 3 years with the Z1U), please someone give Keith the right info.

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Johnston View Post
Hi all, since I am giving up on using 24p on my shoot the 5th of may (because FCP doesnt support it yet for the v1u, and i dont feel like doing a shoot then "tricking it to work" I am going with the default 1080i 60 (since there is a FCP easy set up for this)
You don't need to trick FCP, but you will spend a great deal of labor and time involved in the conversion process. And, many of the posted "how-to" are not fully accurate and/or are very poorly written. Best to stay with 60i.

You want a shutter-speed of 1/60th second, not 1/120th second.
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Trustee

The 'normal' shutter speed for 60i (30fps) is 1/60th (180deg) however if you plan on doing slomo or image stabilisation in post a faster shutter speed is a big help.

For example if you plan to slow the footage to 50% in post then you are simulating in post shooting 120i (60fps) and therefore the matching shutter speed would be 1/120th, which is still 180deg at 60fps.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #5
New Boot

thanks for the advice :}
Keith Johnston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7