best settings for 25p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM   #1
New Boot

best settings for 25p

hello
had my v1 for a while now filming mainly behind the scenes stuff but i'm shooting a short movie in a few weeks and was hoping someone could tell me what are the best manual settings for exterior shooting at 25p, ie shutter speed etc, just had a practice but the footage looked a little blurry on my hdtv, also anyone bothered using super slow rec or is it a waste of time as the bit i did looked awful, is there any manual settings better for this?
cheers
Tony Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Tony,

First of all, try to always (not only in 25p) keep the aperture wider than 5.6 (do it manually, or if you prefer auto exposure, set Aperture limit in the menu). Also, set your shutter speed to 1/50th sec. In bright sunshine, to keep these values and avoid overexposure, make sure to engage the neutral density filter (ND1 or ND2). But even 1/50th shutter speed will not prevent the movement jerkiness, so avoid too fast panning, tilting and zooming - just try to keep it steady. You will be pleased with results!

As to the other settings - well, they are very much dependant on your own taste. I personally use cine gamma 1 and cinecolour on. If you have low contrast scenery, compress the blacks and set knee high; in a more contrasty surroundings stretch blacks and set knee low. This is just the most important and general guidance.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3
New Boot

thanks very much for that!
Tony Wiggins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7