V1U / PP2-Cineform Optimal Workflow! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

V1U / PP2-Cineform Optimal Workflow!

Greetings. Newbie here.
I have two V1U's and use PP2/Cineform.

I've reviewed virtually all I could find about optimal workflow for V1U/HDV -24p with PP2-Cineform, particularly for output to SD. Cineform's tech office has been very responsive (thanks!), but suggested there are various approaches. I would appreciate anyone's experience -- looking for very specific steps for optimal workflow (not the HDMI/Blackmagic solution-- not possible for me because of field work). Here's what I gather so far:

1) ACQUIRE [typically for me: 24p (1/48)... not 24pA, because Cineform apparently takes care of that issue];
2) CAPTURE through HDLink (AVI/ Progressive/ large file, apparenlty not necessary to check deinterlace... [what's the benefit of the non-AVI options?]). PP2 does not have "remove 3:2 pulldown" within it's integrated Aspect HD dialogue [related question- I've had issues with using "Split Scenes"-- capture stops... and it's not quite intuitive how one can batch capture via HDLink];
3) OPEN Cineform widescreen, 24p project/preset;
4) IMPORT the captured AVI file (from step 2);
5) EDIT (etc.)
6) OUTPUT -
Option 1: Export the timeline using Adobe Media Encoder, 24p (23.97p), progressive, 720:480
Option 2: A- Export using integrated Cineform, to an AVI, progressive, 24p (23.97p) (etc.); B- Open new SD project within PP2, import the Option2A AVI, and export Adobe Media Encoder, SD, progressive, 720:480 OR convert the AVI (from Option 2A) within HDLink to SD [what's better?].
7) DVD AUTHORING- I've been happy with DVD Workshop2... could shift to Adobe's... Any wisdom from anyone here concerning allowing the DVD Authoring software to convert the AVI to MPEG2, or (as I have been doing) have the MPEG2 "ready" and leave the DVD Author to "simply" author (etc.)

Comparisons between Option 1 and Option 2? (my limited assessment is that there's little difference... which would bend the workflow to the more parsimonious Option 1).

I'm sure I've missed nuances and details-- but have yet to see a thorough "cookbook" for Optimal HDV - V1U - PP2/Cineform workflow!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Greg Schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

A slightly different approach...

During the injest to the computer you could use SplitHDV for the capture and it will bring in the footage, break it up at scenes...these will be m2t files. Then use Cineform for the intermediate conversion to AVI. Cineform will batch process the files, don't forget to select pull down for Sony Cams.

As to Export.. the Cineform knowlege base shows how:
http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/s...asp?deptID=614

As to DVD authoring... most folks agree that DVD authoring in Premiere is a no no... best to go out of Premiere and go to a dedicated DVD authoring program like Encore or in your case DVD workshop if it supports wide screen.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Replyto Ray: Export Questions

Thanks Ray.
I reviewed the directions for export at that link, but have these questions:

6) Change 'Frame Size' to '720' h and '480' v, 'Frame Rate' to '29.97' and 'Pixel Aspect Ratio' to 'D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.2)' for NTSC

CF tech "verified" that export, if shot in 24p, should be the 23.97, and the PAR should be the anamorphic, 1.333. It's these mixed signals that are confusing... do you have a strong opinion on this discrepancy?

8) Under 'Rendering Options' in the 'Field' drop-down, select 'Lower Field First' for NTSC or 'Upper Field First' for PAL

CF tech verified that it should remain in "progressive"... again, mixed signals... do you have a strong opinion? Are the above (bolded) directions what you use?

Thanks...
Greg Schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Greg, What the CF tech is telling you it that you have more than one
choice for output to DVD...

What he is saying is, if you want the output to be 24P, then you will need to
export with 23.97 (24) and the pixels should be 1.33...

As to the field... if you want the output to remain Progressive then what the CF tech is telling you is correct.

My suggestion is for you to go out and purchase several DVD's and create a small amount of footage and then output to the DVD using several different options and write the options on the DVD for your reference....

That way you can always play one of the DVD's and know how its going to look on your TV....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Ray

Thanks Ray
Greg Schlueter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7