HELP! Close-up 24P Motion Problems - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
OK John, if you're gonna put my name in a post along with Poynton's (His book sits next to my mastering system with the 2007 Broadcast Engineering guide) then I need to add "Buy my book."
Sorry, I have the two books I mentioned but I must admit that I haven't read your book... yet. :-)
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #17
Trustee

DSE, your website has the Second edition of your book.

Where can I get the Third edition you mentioned?

If it specifically covers Sony V1U, among other things, then I'm your customer :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #18
Trustee

If you want some authorative information on the problems of shooting 24fps you would not go far wrong with the ASC:
http://www.theasc.com/
They currently have a Filmaking 101 package that includes lots of hard data from those who do it for a living and a 6 months subscription to their magazine which does contain a lot of useful tidbits.
Obviously shooting digital rather than film brings an additional set of challenges however starting with the rules that cinematographers use is a very good starting point. Or to look at it another way, if how you're shooting cause problems with film at 24fps then it's going to cause the same problems with 24p or 25p.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #19

Alex, the third edition covers the V1, the V1 workflow for all major NLE's, the Canon cams, etc. Its' "going into" the third edition. In other words, it's still in finishing stages. We nearly ran dry at NAB (I'll boast a bit, for the third year in a row it was the best-selling book at NAB) and so decided we wouldn't reprint the second edition.

The book has now sold well over 100k copies, so we've decided that it merits a third edition.

John, my book (like both other HDV books available) is a joke by comparison to either Poynter's book or the 2007 edition of the Broadcast Engineer's handbook. The handbook is not only useful for every tidbit you need to be sure you're fitting standards, but it's also useful for anchoring umbrellas in a hurricane, dropping on attacking rats, or anything else that needs to be squished.

That is one monster book in 10pt type!

But it doesn't cover 24p production techniques. :-)
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #20
Regular Crew

MY MONEY GOES TO... Optimal 24P SETTINGs to avoid JUDDER

Since we have some apparent competition in the arena over V1U (HDV) manuals... one of which I WILL purchase-- let me set the stage for a bidding war of sorts... the "best" advice on this subject will get my money and recommendations! (:). Please provide a clear taxonomy and/or considerations of what might eliminate or substantially minimize "judder" from V1U.... Looking for clarity, specificity, and inclusiveness.

i.e.,

1) Sharpness setting... on the lower side? Under 3 or 4?
2) V1U's custom settings... any other relevant?
3) Assumption of proper White Balancing (etc.)...
4) When not to use 24p because of no control over light (etc.)...?
5) Technique issues... angles... movement... distance...
Greg Schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #21
Trustee

I think what you really want isn't just a camera setting. Part of your solution is to set your shutter fairly low so that there is sufficient motion blur to soften the edges of objects that pass quickly by the camera. The other half of your solution is to compose your scenes in a way to reduce objects/subjects from moving across the camera field too quickly. You will need to pan slowly and not jerk the camera around. Objects that pass near the camera will need to move slowly or so fast that they simply blur.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Greg, if you're going to shoot 24p, you'll find it helpful to learn some cinematography techniques vs shooting angles that you'd normally shoot with 60i. There are a lot of great books on the subject, or you might search out posts here from industry gurus like Chris Leong, Charles Papert, Nate Weaver, Greg Boston, or others that work heavily in 24p.
I believe there were some book titles mentioned in some other threads, but can't for the life of me remember what they were. If I recall correctly, there were some dealing specifically with 24fps/24p techniques. Would you, or anyone else, happen to recall any of these resources or know of any off the top of your head?
Mike Dunning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7