strange noise inside V1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Claire, I'm either recording with the Edirol CS-50 stereo shotgun for ambience or musical performances, or the stock mic in one channel plus wireless in the other for interviews, dialogs etc.

Just one more kind request: holding your cam usual way, please put your left hand underneath the lens body (just supporting it slightly) and zoom full speed to the max - don't you even feel any 'needles and pins' in your left hand fingers, when the zoom goes through the 75-100% range?
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Nope, cannot feel a thing... I also removed the W/A with it's huge hood in case it made a difference but still nothing, even when I explore carefully using my fingertips gently around the lens and barrel.

If I place my ear flush against the barrel I hear the very slight constant zoom noise, ie: constant from start to finish of zoom, that is all.

Maybe these cams vary? Mine was purchased in February, 25p mod done by Sony before sale.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #18
Inner Circle

You've got me convinced. Hearing is very subjective (when played through my Home Theater, your clip *does* contain this very slight, constant whirl); however I can feel it with my hand very, very distinctly.

Yes, our cameras definitely are not identical, it seems. I'm gonna take mine through as hard testing as possible (reasonably), and only then will send it to Prime Support for an overhaul. I'm not so much worried about the sound I'll have recorded in the meantime, because - the noise being only evident during extreme zooming - most of those fragments will get edited off, anyway.

Thanks again, Claire!
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #19
Inner Circle

For the reference of those interested (and comparison with their units), here are the links to a short clip:

http://rapidshare.com/files/34270248/zoom_noise.m2t

- and just its sound track:

http://rapidshare.com/files/34259792/zoom_noise.mpa

Again, please listen with a full spectrum equipment. The zoom noise is audible at the end of the rapid zoom, even though the ambient noise level is quite high.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
your clip *does* contain this very slight, constant whirl)
Piotr, just my thoughts.. if the noise you hear in my clip is constant I expect it is the soft whirring of the fan on my computer. To my regret in my haste this was just below the camera, otherwise if it was zoom noise it would surely disappear after the first zoom in during the moment when I am paused.. then zoom back.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #21
Inner Circle

No, Claire - I can hear the zoom motor as well. I say "constant" because - unlike the noise produced by my unit - it's there all the time you zoom in, then stops, and returns with zooming out. It's much, much lower than mine; considering how quiet the ambience was in your clip, it's negligible.
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
For the reference of those interested (and comparison with their units), here are the links to a short clip:

http://rapidshare.com/files/34270248/zoom_noise.m2t

- and just its sound track:

http://rapidshare.com/files/34259792/zoom_noise.mpa

Again, please listen with a full spectrum equipment. The zoom noise is audible at the end of the rapid zoom, even though the ambient noise level is quite high.
Piotr,

Here is your audio taken into Sound Forge alongside my own "V1E Zoom noise test.mov" file I uploaded earlier. I had to convert your mpa to wav to be accepted and I also had to increase amplitude to see both more easily.

The black shaded areas are where I made selections and on yours (at left) this is where I hear the zoom motor, I think this does corrospond to your video.

Mine is at the right and the selected area is where I can tell from the little video preview along the top that plays that I am zooming, there is no change in the audio that I can hear or indeed observe from the waveform unlike yours where the waveform suddenly drops as you complete the zoom. Interestingly I can even hear your zoom motor beneath the louder background noise burst where your zoom starts.

Informative?
Attached Thumbnails
strange noise inside V1-compare.gif  
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:29 AM   #23
Inner Circle

While I'm very grateful to Claire for the time and effort, I'd appreciate a comment from somebody, who - like me, unlike Claire - is using a mic hotter than the stock V1 mic, but in the V1's own mic holder. This might make a lot of difference. TIA!
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:34 AM   #24
Trustee

I think the better solution is to simply move the mic away from the source of the noise. A mic on a camera is never a good thing, it's almost always too far from the source of the desired sound and and too close to unwanted sounds. There are some mic such as the ones from Sanken designed to mount on cameras but they're hard to find and expensive and even then it's not an ideal solution.

Apart from the proximity problem you've also got the problem of the camera possibly moving when the sound source isn't, this can rather mess up the recording, as a shotgun pans across the sound source not only does the level change but also the frequency response, just look at the polar plots and you'll see what can happen.

If you have to have a mic on a camera then a good shock mount is important, plenty of them to choose from and I'd use a fabric covered lead too. Vibrations can travel up rigid mic leads. Perhaps mounting the shock mount / mic on a Noga arm would help too.

The other thing I've noticed is the standard Sony mic holder isn't much good. It might be OK with that plastic mic that comes with the camera but heavier / fatter mics will compress the rubber nodules inside the mic clamp rendering them useless.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:46 AM   #25
Inner Circle

In general, you're absolutely right, Bob. Sometimes however, I'd like to record stereo ambient sound without too much fuss; my Edirol CS-50 is the size and weiht of the stock mick, so this should not be a problem.

Also, you're talking about remedies to a problem, while I'm not sure whether I'm actually having one. The Edirol is way more sensitive than the stock one, and the dynamic, rich sound comes for the price of more unwanted sounds recorded as well. However, this is only natural, and by itself is not a reason to send a camera for servicing...

What I'm trying to establish is whether or not my zoom motor works like in any other V1, or is malfunctioning. Have already contacted Prime Support and they of course are ready to accept my camera for testing. But before I send it, I'd like to know for sure - perhaps I'm oversensitive mysef?

Have you listened to my clip?
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:06 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Since I can't edit my previous post anymore (BTW, what is the time limit for that? Sometimes it seems the "Edit" button disappears quicker than usually...), here is a couple of new facts. I don't have easy access to another V1 unit, but I tried a brand new FX7 which shouldn't differ from a V1 in this respect, and while the actual noise of the zoom motor is more or less the same as in my unit, there is virtually no associated vibration. My problem is that were it the audible noise that's a problem, I could convince the Prime Support engineers much easier than with vibrations! One must hold the camera thae way I do to feel it.

Do you have a suggestion on how to objectivize vibrations from the zoom motor to Prime Support engineers, so that I won't be sending my camera for servicing in vain?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; June 3rd, 2007 at 05:45 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7