V1U to HDMI to AJA IO HD or Sony XDCAM EX - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 11th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
...but to get the full uncompressed HD-SDI/HDMI stream @ 1.485 Gbps on disk, you are condemned to Wafian like configurations.
Am I incorrect in assuming that you could achieve acceptable rates using a 5+ HDD RAID array? I'm not quite sure I understand the reason behind a $17k piece of equipment that (appears) to do the same thing that a RAID based PC could do for a fraction of the cost.
Mike Dunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
Bob,

As I read it (Javor's question), the question was about HDMI (the poor man's HD-SDI connector) and UNcompressed output. You are of course completely correct when talking about XDCAM-HD streams @ 35 Mbps, but to get the full uncompressed HD-SDI/HDMI stream @ 1.485 Gbps on disk, you are condemned to Wafian like configurations.
Not at all. You can use the Cineform codec just like with the Wafian. You can also use ProRess, DVCPROHD, Photojpeg or Sheervideo on the Apple which gives you much less then uncompressed datarates. On the PC side of the Intensity card you can use the jpeg codec which isn't as perfect as Cineform but is a heck of a lot better then HDV for hard to compress scenes. Just because the camera pumps out a uncompressed signal doesn't mean it has to be recorded as uncompressed. In fact compared to Cineform (the full 1920x1080 version) uncompressed is really a waste.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Giglio View Post
Hello,

I'm in pre-production for a feature film and I intend on using the Redrock Micro M2 with the camera I choose (I already have the V1U). My question... do you think it would be better to use the V1U with HDMI output to the AJA IO HD for an 'uncompressed' ProRes 422 image, or use the upcoming Sony XDCAM EX. I know that using the AJA IO HD would require tethering the camera to a laptop, hard drive, etc. for a live feed, but I wonder what the differences in video quality would be. Also, would there be any advantages to using the ProRess 422 over the XDCAM workflow (I do not plan on using/sharing between the windows platform at all).

I also know that the Sony XDCAM EX isn't out yet (same for the AJA IO HD), so there is no comparisons between the quality (I'm pretty sure that the XDCAM EX codec is the same as it's big brother's). So basically, has anyone compared the uncompressed V1's image direct from the HDMI to the image delivered by an XDCAM?

There's a lot of speculation since neither the XDCAM EX or AJA IO HD is out yet, but I just figured I'd ask a few questions anyway.

Thank you to anyone who would like to comment.

Todd
What kind of movie is this going to be? mpeg2 codecs depend on how complex the scenes are. If this is a slow paced drama then XDCAMHD will be more then enough for perfect quality. Even HDV itself only really starts to fall apart with very fast and complex scenes. XDCAMHD has that extra chunk of bits to help out even some of the most demanding situations. 24 movies tend to compress a lot better then live shot material because usually the camera is on a tripod or a steadycam of some sort. Many times the camera itself may not move at all which makes the compression very easy. Even an action movie may be ok with XDCAMHD although sometimes you may notice a few blocks during explosions or photograph flashes or strobe lights ect...

If the project is a drama or comedy or something that isn't super complex and fast paced the live capture to lightly compressed or uncompressed may be a little overkill.

What I may suggest doing for your test shots in October is maybe rent one of the current XDCAMHD cameras to see how well the codec works out for your material. If it holds up very well and will be more then enough for you to work with then you can think about getting the XDCAM EX when it comes out. During this time you can even bring along your V1 to see how it compares to XDCAMHD. At that point you may even be able to rent the EX itself to compare to the V1. Nobody will be able to tell you better about how well each camera will work for your project then you yourself could.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
What kind of movie is this going to be? mpeg2 codecs depend on how complex the scenes are. If this is a slow paced drama then XDCAMHD will be more then enough for perfect quality. Even HDV itself only really starts to fall apart with very fast and complex scenes.
Our film is primarily a drama, so fast motion is very limited. I think the EX will probably be my choice since the 24p is implemented better than the V1 (unless FCS2 adds the pulldown feature). I don't forsee much post adjustments other than color correction (there aren't any special effects requirements). I also think that the EX would have better light sensitivity given the light loss from the M2. If the EX isn't out, I may go the rental route.
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7