What to buy - HDRFX7 or HVR-V1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What to buy - HDRFX7 or HVR-V1U

Hi guys,

I am new to videography, and recently begun shooting weddings etc. I purchased a Sony HVR-A1U, and am liking it alot. Haven't had any complaints with it so far, except for low lighting capabilities, but my HVL-20DW2 solves that pretty well. I recently received good news that my business loan app was approaved, so I am going to be going shopping for some equipment. My local camera shop (Henrys in Canada) was where I bought my A1U for $2999.00CAD. Here is my question:

Should I buy the HDRFX7,
http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&sortKey=price

which right now at Henrys is on for $3499CAD, $1100 off the retail price, or should I just splurge and go for the HVR-V1U,
http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&sortKey=price

on for $4999CAD

Or are there other models I should be looking at. I would like to buy another unti, and keep the A1U for static podium filming.

Any input is appriciated, but keep in mind this $ is burning a hole in my pocket....lol
Jason Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Trustee

i think my v1 is a great piece of equipment - but it's really not suited to low-light environments.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Major Player

A good general rule is to always buy the more professional version if the budget allows. Another is not to be decoyed by an apparent bargain from making a careful decision! In terms of low light performance, the smaller the sensor pixels the less sensitive (think of them as buckets collecting photons). You need to identify your working requirements and check off cameras against them. All the HDV cameras suffer somewhat in low light conditions; you must also consider inherent noise level because that's what you amplify when using higher video gain. The Z1, for example, performs acceptably at 18dB gain provided your lighting is high key and don't have to push the image further in post (visible noise in low light areas, very like film grain). Pay attention to lens quality; does it go wide enough without attachments; what is the zoom range at maximum aperture (important when in low light); does it hold focus when zooming (manual focus). How easy is the camera to use under frenetic circumstances.
And you'll be doing more than weddings in low light, so think through your global needs.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Since you do have a camera light at your disposal, the V1 or FX7 will work fine. If you don't plan to do 24p, then go with the FX7. Is this going to be your main camera, and your A1 the backup or 2nd camera? If that's the case, then the FX7 or V1 will work just fine. If you can fit it in your budget, the V1 is a very nice camera. You also might want to take a look at the Canon XHA1 (a wider lens and good price).

Good luck
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM   #5
Trustee

As said above, you might look at the XH-A1. It has the professional features at a very good price.

Also, of the several cameras in this category, the XH-A1 seems to be the better in low light (though none of them will compete with the SD PD150/170)

You might ask in the XH-A1 forum how that camera would suit your purpose as compared to the V1.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Major Player

I love the form factor and weight of the V1U, and I've always liked Sony's menus & ergonomics. I would go with the V1U now that the price has just dropped.

You can buy it for $4899 from Vistek.ca (or if there's a location in Ottawa).
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I have chosen to go with the extra money on the V1U. I think with the use of another HVL-20DW2 it will do just as good or better as my A1U in low light .
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Major Player

I would strongly suggest investigating the soon to be released Sony XDCam EX if you are going to shoot weddings, as it has 1/2 sensor and should be much better in low light than my FX 7 (even with the new Sony light HVL-LBP).

You will definitely struggle with your 10/20 light.

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7