FX7 1/30th shutter with 60i output--what is happening? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX7 1/30th shutter with 60i output--what is happening?

In dim light setting the shutter speed to 1/30 brightens up the image--but how is this possible in 60i video? What is the slow shutter speed doing--creating a 30p look? Is it averaging two 60i frames? Has anyone looked at the video shot with this shutter speed to analyze it?

I always run my 60i video through deinterlacing filters in FCP to convert to 30p before output (otherwise it looks ugly on progressive screen monitors). Can I shoot with 1/30th shutter speed and avoid this step? Will I have too much motion blur?

Anyone with any knowledge/experience in these settings?

--Robert
Robert Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm guessing it just doubles the fields/frames
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:01 AM   #3

The resolution at 3/6 seconds is 512x240. Fields are doubled at 12 seconds. Not much information there. It's barely useful for standard resolution, and not useable at all for HD resolutions. Works great for the web, however.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Using 1/30 second shutter speed has nothing to do with 60i vs. 30p. It just keeps the shutter open longer, allowing more light on the chip. This is cumulative, so, yes, you get double the light when doubling the time the chip receives light.

OK, I've used it for talking head interviews in low light. If the subject is moving their arms & hands a lot, it will be noticeable to those who know what they're looking at.

There will be more motion blur. It no longer looks like TV, but, you may like the look. I've not done a 30p conversion from video shot 1/30 60i.

Slower shutter speeds would have to be classified as a visual effect in scenes that contain significant motion.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Trustee

I did some recording at 30P and it does not look at all like 512x240. Spot, are you sure you aren't talking about the "Smooth" record for high fps footage?

From what I can tell, the 30P is stored like 60i but the fields don't have any difference in time so there are none of the "comb" edges between fields with motion.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM   #6

Argghh...I was looking at a post on Super Smooth Slo Mo in another thread, and put the response in this one. Sorry for any confusion. Duh! Thanks for the catch.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7