Figured I'd show off some FX7 specific work... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 8th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Figured I'd show off some FX7 specific work...

This is running at very low aperature, high shutter (1/2000) and 60i converted to 30p in post.

I film paintball, been playing for 6 years and filming for 4... this was the first time I filmed with the FX7 for anything so I was still getting very used to it but this is what I came up with..

http://www.lousyheros.com/videos/xpslslo.wmv - This is the "smooth" slow motion feature, I didn't realize it recorded at 1/4 the HD resolution, so it's 460 x 280 instead of 1920 x 1080... sucks but that's what you end up with... I had a lot of those shots and just threw them together with some music... no editing of any sort

http://www.lousyheros.com/videos/xpslpat.wmv - This is the HD stuff at 1280 x 720 in 30p... compressed twice by accident and it came out funny in the .wmv so don't take this as a measure of the quality of the camera, it's all .wmv compression.

If anyone wants some full HD clips I can give short raw .m2t files in 1080p30
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Trustee

So much for the idea of rolling shutter problems! That was fast action at a high shutter speed and high framerate. I don't think you could ask more of an HDV camera. Even though the footage is low resolution, it has that great FX7/V1 color. To see the ammunition streaming from the gun in the slomo shots and to find out that it isn't even visible in the normal rate footage really speaks well for the FX7 capabilities. Good job and thanks for the demo.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, I've always been saying the rolling shutter effect is a greatly exagerrated thing, at least with the V1 (and I suppose FX7). In progressive mode, when I need DOF as shallow as only possible, I shoot at 1/300th on a regular basis. I tried 1/600th - no rolling shutter effect, either - not that could be seen by somebody not looking for it!

BTW, with 1/600th I can keep the iris at F1.6 -2.8 without this annoying ND-filter switching on and off each time some cloud would cover/uncover the sun, or moving from bright sunshine to some shadowy scenery. Stroby? -perhaps, but I like it that way! Progressive, razor sharp. And with a controllable DOF, too!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; July 9th, 2007 at 07:22 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Major Player

I shot with an HV10 at the same shutter speed, at very fast pans (similar to these) I noticed rolling shutter slightly... I think it may have to do with single cmos over 3 cmos...

But I did notice more noise with the FX7 in certain shots at high shutter, I'm probably going to go back to 1/1000
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #5
Trustee

Make sure you don't have the gain on automatic. Extremely high shutter can cause a lack of exposure so the camera would increase the gain. Are you using any filters that cut down the light? When shooting at very fast shutter you probably need to remember to turn off the ND filters. If you are using a polarizer, you will need to weigh it's benefits against how much light it soaks up.
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Just UV... I don't think I had any ND filters on, I might have... gain wasn't locked...

I didn't figure out how to lock the shutter speed until a couple tapes into filming... still figuring out the camera :)
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Trustee

I calculate 1/2000 as about 5 f-stops less light than 1/60 shutter. In a bright outdoor scenario there should be enough exposure to not need gain at that shutter as long as the ND filters are not engaged. I could be missing something, but double check things when you are doing extreme shutter speeds. Regardless, I didn't notice noise and the shots look great.
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Nah no noise in those shots, but certain shots all the black clothing on players and masks is grainy and bugged the crap out of me... I never experienced any noise when I was filming outdoors with the HV10...
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #9
Trustee

"gain wasn't locked..."

Video noise is only caused by gain. Something probably caused the auto-gain to kick in and you got noise. ALWAYS keep your gain on manual. Shutter or iris can be on auto and won't ruin your image. Gain on auto will randomly ruin your image quality. If you want to have fully automatic exposure, go in to the menu and limit the auto gain to 12db. 12db is noisy, but not so bad it will ruin things completely. 9db is probably just below the threshold most people will notice. 6db is barely visible.

Does the FX7 have Black Compensation?
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I have auto gain limited to 6dB, to always be on the safe side when in Exposure 1 auto mode. Only if I do need some more desperately I crank it up manually (after going to manual exposure of course).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7