I loves mah V1U ... except for... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 11th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I loves mah V1U ... except for...

My V1 arrived today and I've given it a good try out.

Everything is wonderful except the audio seems AWFULLY insensitive? I mean compared to my XL2 and my HC1, the V1's audio is WAY down there. And the V1's onboard mike is pathetic... when I transfer footage into Premiere you can't even hear the onboard mike's sound unless you boost it 30db or so.

Luckily, my shotgun, dynamic studio mike, and wireless mikes all work reasonably well, they're just not as hot as on the XL2 and HC1.

How can I increase audio sensitivity on the V1???

Other than that, love it, love it, love it. Beautiful images.
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Sony is known for not supplying you with the best mics with their camera.
I would suggest just picking up another mic like the Rode NTG2 to swap out with the stock mic.
You will notice a dramatic difference in the sound after doing this.

Also just make sure that you don't have mic att turned on, as this will knock down your audio signal quite a bit.
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Your ears aren't laying to you frequency response starts diminishing as you go under 500hz, and its not the onboard mic or HDV artifacts. It'll happen with good mic in DV mode too.

Shayne Weyker
http://weykervideo.com

Last edited by Chris Hurd; July 12th, 2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: forum links
Shayne Weyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #4

It would be more accurate to say that no camcorder manufacturer provides good microphones with their camcorder without singling Sony out. They all stink, IMO.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys and, Douglas (by the way, love your work) you're right... except that judging by all other other cameras I've owned, the V1's mike stinks a great deal more than normal. ;-)

I tried replacing it with my Audio Technica 897 shotgun but the shotgun picks up too much camera noise in the mike holder, so I shock mounted it on the shoe. Works much better than the mike that came with the V1 but still not nearly as hot as the AT is on my XL2.

In general, I am frustrated by the general lack of audio sensitivity. I've made sure that both Trim settings is 0db and put the gain on manual and maxed it to 10 and the audio input from mikes I KNOW to be nice and hot is WAY too low.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get decent audio?

Thanks,

--Ralph
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #6

Hmmm...using a Sanken CMS10, AT 897, and a couple of other mics, I get great audio from my V1. Do you have auto-gain enabled? I don't use this feature.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip about the AGC.

I ran a test using the supplied mike with gain manual on 10 and sitting about three feet away, talking.

When I pull it into Premiere and normalized it, 9.6 db was added and the audio was usable.

I'm not real thrilled with the audio sensitivity yet but, leaving off the AGC and keep the gain wide open, the camera is probably usable. I had kinda hoped for more from Sony, though. (sigh)

Anyway, onward and upward. Thanks for the help!

--Ralph
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

OKAY!

Thanks Douglas, think I'm making progress. Dump the AGC and run the gain up all the way!

here's a quick minute audio test with the V1 for those interested:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39086753348594

--Ralph
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #9
Trustee

I had an AT4073a connected to my V1 on a shoot and it was more than strong enough at 3 feet. Yes, the stock mic is crap but I'm guessing it didn't cost $500.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Ralph,
Check your settings in windows audio panel or the audio card you are using. Also the settings in Premiere for audio in/out. You might have some levels turned down somewhere.

garyg
Gary Gowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gowman View Post
Ralph,
Check your settings in windows audio panel or the audio card you are using. Also the settings in Premiere for audio in/out. You might have some levels turned down somewhere.

garyg
Thanks, I did all that... it's just that the V1 audio levels are lower than all the other cameras I have or have had.

Just have to get used to it.

--Ralph
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
It would be more accurate to say that no camcorder manufacturer provides good microphones with their camcorder without singling Sony out. They all stink, IMO.
On board mics can only really be judged on the basis of other on board mics and IMO Sony certainly falls short of it's competitors in regards to these prosumer style cameras.

Certainly nothing can compare to a good external microphone. In that arena they all fall short.

Last edited by Tony Tibbetts; July 21st, 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Well, for the last four days we shot a crafts fair up here in the mountains... used the V1U exclusively.... Lots of interviews.

I used my AT 897 shotgun mike and an Azden handheld.

We got great stuff but I'm telling you guys for sure -- while great in about every other area -- the audio on the V1 is SOFT.

The only time I came anywhere near clipping was when we shot one of the bands providing entertainment and they had their amps way up. I actually turned the V1 gain pot for the AT897 from 10 down to 9... just for safety, not necessity. (sigh)

If I could just drop the audio circuits from my Canon XL2 or even my HC1 into the V1, I would be a truly happy camper.

Still, we got more than enough footage for two 1-hour shows, which is what we were there to do.

And... let me make this clear ... aside from its audio, I LOVES the V1.

THERE HAS GOT TO BE A WAY TO GET THE V1 TO RESPOND NORMALLY TO GOOD MIKES?

I've tried every setting and every suggestion you guys have offered.

--Ralph
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:27 AM   #14
Trustee

Rode make an inexpensive XLR preamp for dynamic mics, you just plug it inline. Runs off the phantom power. Just be warned it doesn't pass the phantom power through to the input so it will not work with condensor mics that need phantom power. The unit has 10dB gain which should get you out of trouble cheaply.
If that doesn't do the trick then I think a proper field mixer is the answer.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Rode make an inexpensive XLR preamp for dynamic mics, you just plug it inline. Runs off the phantom power. Just be warned it doesn't pass the phantom power through to the input so it will not work with condensor mics that need phantom power. The unit has 10dB gain which should get you out of trouble cheaply.
If that doesn't do the trick then I think a proper field mixer is the answer.
Great suggestion, Bob! I'll order one today... I can see where that would solve some problems... except, as you noted, with phantom-powered mikes.

--Ralph

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7