Shooting White Cyclorama/cove with V1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Shooting White Cyclorama/cove with V1U

This will be my first time filming a white cyclorama for a studio shoot with my V1U, and I was wondering if anyone out there has done so yet? Are their any tips and tricks you've learned along the way, or simply basic key points to stress.
I've lit quite a few greenscreens, and I'm hoping that a similar lighting approach (2 1k for the background {white cove} and a standard 3 light kit for the subject in the foreground {2 people in an optometry office setting}).

Any knowledge on the matter (especially with regards to using my V1U) would be very useful.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Trustee

It sounds like you are on the right track. I shot a whit background and did not have enough light for the cyc. It ended up light grey instead of white. It was still good enough that color correction could fix it, but I would have preferred more light. The V1 needs a lot of light and to make pure white will take lots. If you have extra lights for the background, bring them along just in case. I'm guessing 2K will be enough, but if extra lights are available it might be prudent to have them in the car.

If possible, report back here what light worked. I'm curious to the ratio of light needed between talent and white background. My job was unpaid so I could not rent extra lights and the lights at the location had bad lamps so I only used my own kit. It just wasn't enough to light a 3-person interview and the background.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Marcus, you can't have too many lights for the task. Still easier than a chroma key set if you ask me.

For a children's video I did last winter we constructed a large white cyc out of seamless paper and used the waveform monitor to make sure it had even lighting, and deliberately overexposed it to pure white. Then we lit the subjects separately, about 20'-25' off the cyc. All in all probably 15-20K watts of light used for the setup.
Attached Images

Old July 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

re:

thanks for the heads up guys. I'll shoot it tomorrow and once the footage turns out I'll let you know. And I'll be sure to bring along some extra lights!
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7