Lets talk settings on the V1. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 28th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Lets talk settings on the V1.

I think we should have a tread where we can ask settings questions of the V1 collective. With this resource we can define not only what settings do but how they can be used.

No my cam is better than your cam comparisons please.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Here's a picture profile a video engineer talked me into, with my V1 shooting a chart and displayed on his scopes and reference monitor:

Color Level: +3
Color Phase: +1
Sharpness: 2
Skintone Detail: Off (factory setting)
Skintone Level: 6 (factory setting)
White Balance Shift: 0
Knee Point: Low
Black Compensation: Off
Cinematone Gamma: Off
Cinematone Color: On

I also have another profile set up with Black Comp: On, for low light situations. That will always require color correction in post.

I've had good experiences with these two profiles so far, mostly shooting interviews, both in natural light and with my hot lights.

For natural light indoors, I'm shooting quite a bit with +6db gain, which appears to be grainless and quite acceptable without further processing in post. I've not had to go higher in gain (I always travel with lights), but if I did, I'd want to check out Neat Video (neatvideo.com), the sample noise reduction images I've seen have been stunning.

Also, check out this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82810

PS. My V1 might be different than your V1, certainly what I like to look at is probably different than what you like!
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Have you been happy with your results with the sharpness set to 2?
It seems too soft to me.

I shot a wedding with 3 and it looked out of focus when downresed to standard def. It did look ok in HD. I applied 50% sharpen filter and it was acceptable in SD. I have moved my sharpness back up to 7.
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Can we talk audio settings as well as video settings? :)

Anyone here use a Rode NT3 with their V1U yet? I took Steve's advice and set my Input Trim to -16db to obtain the best match in sensitivity since the NT3 is -39db.

But I didn't get the best results. Plus this method seems to requires work in post to bring the volumes back up. Anyone have any experiences to share with their V1U or any other microphone with a similar sensitivity?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, by all means let’s talk about audio. I have a Audio-Technica mic and a Sennheiser wireless if that is comparable.

I found the audio a little soft and hard to monitor at first until I read the manual and found out how to turn up the volume on the headphones.

Now I just monitor the readout and everything seams cool. I have come home more that once with soft audio.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Major Player

This setting business started me wondering, so, I took a couple of days and tried all different settings for the 6 profiles. I looked at each one, made notes, rendered into mpeg2 to see how it would look, my conclusion is for the most part the defaulted settings, I switched back to the defaults on the the four settings, are pretty much right on, depending on whether its indoor, outdoor, etc.
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Hugh, I think you are probably right for most situations the presets are probably right.

So it seems we should define the different situations that these settings can be used.

I have been told that the portrait setting is good for shooting weddings. So should you use that setting for the whole wedding or just the interviews?

Drawing from everyones’ experiences with this cam will help make us all better.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:19 AM   #8
Major Player

I found that the default portrait setting is good for just that, indoor or outdoor, but for scenery, trees, etc. I am going to us the Cinema setting, it is more saturated and just looks alot better. I did over 12 gigs of 20-30 sec clips with a green screen and outdoors, each clip being a different setting, and trying all 4 presets and the custom ones. some settings were no good at all, but the ones closest to the factory default, or the factory defaults, seemed to be the best generally. I did render each bunch of clips into mpegs to see difference. The only problem might be is the time of day, overcast or sunny, morning or afternoon, seems you can't really win for losing.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Now, that is interesting! You sparked more questions than I can pose in one post. So, I will start with one.

How did the green screen stuff turn out?
Was it outside or inside?
Did it key well?
What program are you using?
What camera settings did you use?

I know that is more that one question but it is all about one thing.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Major Player

I had cam on full auto, and the settings were varied. I did keep notes on all of this, but after looking at all these clips one tends to see double. If you scroll thru the portrait settings you can see the changes each one has thru the lcd screen, it may be darker, light, whatever. I like a saturated look when I am outdoors, but inside I like what is closest to the real skin tone as I can get. I just sat in front of my green screen and did a clip, changed the setting and did another clip, and so on. There will be noticeable differences between the portrait, cinema, sunset and monotone. Right now I am back to the factory defaults for all of them, #6 I have the cinema setting with a sharpness of 10 instead of the default of 5, and #5 I have the portrait setting with higher sharpness, 10 i think, don't have cam with me this morning. I did not chroma key out the green screen.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM   #11
Major Player

10!
Now I have to try Cinema with a sharpness of 10.

How did you monitor the clips after capture? (Computer or HD TV)
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM   #12
Major Player

no, just on computer
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM   #13
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Little View Post
Have you been happy with your results with the sharpness set to 2?
It seems too soft to me.

I shot a wedding with 3 and it looked out of focus when downresed to standard def. It did look ok in HD. I applied 50% sharpen filter and it was acceptable in SD. I have moved my sharpness back up to 7.
I agree with you -- Sony's choice of 5 and 7 are perfect. (I like 8 as well -- and YES I've used 10 and it looks fine.) BUT, I've calibrated my monitors to near zero Sharpness.

Someone who's using a typical 50% Sharpness on their monitor will naturally set the camera lower. Someone who wants an extreme Film Look may also feel the need to squeeze all the fine detail out.

But, using anything below 5 is, IMHO, loosing the fine details that make HD.

PS: I'm also judging based on a complete production thru to HD DVD.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM   #14
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Little View Post
I applied 50% sharpen filter and it was acceptable in SD. I have moved my sharpness back up to 7.
I've read that sharpening in post can amplify compression artifacts. So using 7 to 9 is smart.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM   #15
Major Player

In all the sample clips I did I did quite a few with the sharpness cranked up to 12, 14 even 15, and down to 0, Frankly didn't see a real big difference from 6,7 or 8, the differences are so subtle that most people viewing it wouldn't see a difference or couldn't. I know I have to look at the clips over and over to find one that stands out, and that one is usually closer to defaulted settings. There are so many setting combinations available with this cam I really keep thinking about a documentary class I took, Its not the camera as much as the content!
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7