Sony VCT-FXA Shoulder Brace at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony VCT-FXA Shoulder Brace

if you've got a Sony VCT-FXA Shoulder Brace on your camera, can it click onto a tripod? or does this thing have to be removed in order to do that?

i saw a post on this forum with a few pics, but i'm still wondering if anyone out there has any pics of this thing in action (with a Z1). it's a bunch of money to drop on something that looks so simple...but if it works, it's worth it.

thanks!
Jon Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i found the manual on sony.co.uk, and i read it does connect to a tripod.

but if anyone wants to give their opinions of this thing, i'd appreciate it. it just doesn't look like it's worth nearly $300.
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, it does have a tripod hole on the bottom of it. I've used it several times to quickly connect it on & off my tripod.
Is is worth $300? Not a chance... but I still paid for it.
I find that it's fairly useful as a brace when I'm running around on the go. Even when I have my Monopod attached, I still use the VCT-FXA to help brace the shot and avoid panning.
It works ok, but wayyyy overpriced.
Justin Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

well, let me know if you (or anyone else) would like to sell it. i want one, but it's too much to purchase one new at that price. i'm not that broke, but i just can't drop nearly $300 for this thing on principle. i mean, how much can this thing cost to make?
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Major Player

B&H have them for $260 but there are a lot better supports (the Spider Brace, $70, for one: http://www.spiderbrace.com/. You want the device to transfer the weight of the camera to your body, at least if you're using it for any length of time. One popular type has a spring loaded support to a waist belt, but a bit more expensive: http://www.varizoom.com/supportsindex.html. There are other references on this site (DVi). You should always have a quick release plate between camera and support.

Have a look through the range at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/3...abilizers.html
also http://www.studio1productions.com/dvbrace.htm

Last edited by Serena Steuart; August 12th, 2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: to add RigPro link and fix links!
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #6
Major Player

I just had a spiderbrace delivered and it's awesome!

I can't believe how light it is. Well worth the money for a new toy.

If only it had a tripod hole on the bottom!......after having a second look, I think I can add a quick release to it easily enough!

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1