Using non sony tapes for school. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Using non sony tapes for school.

I am currently going to school for Film Production and I am using my Z1 as much as I can. At my school, however, all the decks are non sony and we are not allowed to put sony tapes in them. Unfortunately after talking to my teacher he wants me to turn in my work on a dv tape not a dvd.

My plan is to film how I always do using a normal sony tape but once done editing I put in a panasonic dv tape into the Z1 and export my final project to the panasonic tape for the teacher using Premiere.

Is this a good idea? Also I should be fine putting hdv onto a panasonic dvc tape right?

On second thought I also have a hdr hc1 which I could use to export the final copy with, almost as a very inexpensive deck in an attempt to save the head on my Z1. Would this be feasible provided that everything else discussed is practical?
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

You would probably be OK if you run a cleaning tape before and after. But another option would be using the camera with your Sony tapes and a firewire connection to the school's deck with their brand of tape. Would involve an extra step but everybody could use their tape brand of choice...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
You would probably be OK if you run a cleaning tape before and after. But another option would be using the camera with your Sony tapes and a firewire connection to the school's deck with their brand of tape. Would involve an extra step but everybody could use their tape brand of choice...
Ya I may just do that for the group projects so we can all edit together but for my final project and what not I would really like to do it all at my place. I didn't even think of taking my camera to school though, thanks.
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brill View Post
but for my final project and what not I would really like to do it all at my place.
Another option would be putting all the files on a portable hard drive and bringing it to school to use on their computers.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Another option would be putting all the files on a portable hard drive and bringing it to school to use on their computers.
Oddly enough that is another problem I am facing. I use a pc at home and my school is all mac so I bought a mac compatible external hard drive and am going to format it using their mac's. I did this to save all my work from my classes and didn't really care too much about not being able to use it on my pc. I am now looking at buying the mediafour mac drive software where my pc will be able to write and receive information on and from a mac formatted hard drive.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Sounds like that may be more work than its worth. Exporting to tape is so simple in Premiere that's what I would do. It's easier to take a tape to school than it is a drive.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Take the tape

Export to the other camera (Not sure if it is a HDV camera) with the other tape brand and take the tape to school.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1