FX1 not Detected in XP Pro 64 Bit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 not Detected in XP Pro 64 Bit

I have built a new system with Xp 64 as the OS, but am having trouble getting the system to see the FX1. The system is also not recognizing my HDR HC1.

Is anyone running XP 64 and using the FX1 successfully?

I have Cineform and Adobe CS2 installed for capture.

Thanks,

JayH
Jay Handleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Major Player

what video and sound cards are you using? Be sure that the current drivers for both of these are loaded. Also check the service pack compatability.

-JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My video card is the GeForce 8800 GTS, my sound on board with the Supermicro MB X7DWA-N.

Latest BIOS, XP SP3, the camera was not detected on SP2 either.

JayH
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Interestingly, my VX100 is recognized by this new system. Only my HDV cameras are not being recognized.

JayH
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Are you looking for Windows to see the cam or Premiere? Premiere is the issue. If it does not see the HDV cams when you try to capture but it sees the DV cam, then you might have a settings issue in Premiere. If all the settings don't match perfectly, Premiere won't even see the cam. If you're doing an HDV project using an HDV preset, make sure the cam's VTR is in HDV mode and i.Link Convert is OFF. If it's a DV project, make sure i.Link Convert is ON.

Are you shooting/editing DV or HDV? And are you sure you're running x64 as your OS? I thought XP SP3 was only for the 32-bit version...
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Are you looking for Windows to see the cam or Premiere? Premiere is the issue. If it does not see the HDV cams when you try to capture but it sees the DV cam, then you might have a settings issue in Premiere. If all the settings don't match perfectly, Premiere won't even see the cam. If you're doing an HDV project using an HDV preset, make sure the cam's VTR is in HDV mode and i.Link Convert is OFF. If it's a DV project, make sure i.Link Convert is ON.

Are you shooting/editing DV or HDV? And are you sure you're running x64 as your OS? I thought XP SP3 was only for the 32-bit version...
Right now, I'm trying to get either Premiere, Windows, or Cineform to recognize the cams. I got the VX1000 to work in Windows and Premiere no problem.

I'm absolutely positive it is xp64. There is a SP3 for 64, I performed the update last weekend, although I was trying to avoid it before I could not get the cams to be seen by the PC.

All the settings are correct on the camera.

The OS simply does not recognize my HDV cams.

I'd like to know if anyone is able to get xp64 to recognize either of these HDV cams and what steps they had to take to get them on line.

JayH
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Look, I'm not trying to be a pest, here, only trying to help. But what to make of the following quote from

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ws-xp-sp3.html

that says "There will be no x64 version of SP3 released; Windows XP x64 will be updated at the same time Windows Server 2003 is updated, since it is derived from the codebase of the latter."

and

"What About Windows XP Professional x64?
Keep in mind that the x64 version is based on Windows Server 2003 - you won't see SP3 for XP Pro x64 until Windows Server 2003 is updated to SP3."

from

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/win...3_here_at_last

and

"The current release of Service Pack 3 is only for the 32-bit version of the operating system and not for the 64-bit version."

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Service_Pack_3

and finally

"Q: What about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?
A: SP3 does not apply to the x64 version of Windows XP. Instead, that operating system is updated via service packs aimed at Windows Server 2003. The latest Windows 2003 service pack is SP2."

from

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xp_sp3.asp

Obviously all could be wrong, and you know your PC best but I can't find anything that indicates SP3 is for anything but XP Pro, 32-bit.

But that really isn't the issue, I suppose. It would help greatly if you could list the steps you are following, including project and camera settings, to help us figure this out for you. Because as far as I know, you shouldn't have to do anything special to have Premiere see your cam. And I haven't read of anyone else having issues with this, always remembering that Adobe is quite clear that they don't support Premiere in 64-bit environments, especially not CS2. Many people report that CS3 works fine under x64.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Adam,

You're not being a pest at all, and I appreciate your diligence.

SP3 was available as an automatic update to XP64, and I elected to install it after I could not get this new system to recognize my cams.

I know Sony does not offer 64 bit drivers...now...

But I thought the device should still be rocognized by the OS.

That is where I'm having 0 luck.

Gotta pick up th ekids, post more when I get back

JayH
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Please let us know if you get this diagnosed and/or resolved, because as someone who's contemplating rolling the dice with x64 and CS3/Aspect, I'm very interested in this.

In the meantime, those project settings would help if we could see them...

Good luck.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Adam,

The project settings will have no effect, as far as I know, until there is a device recognized by Windows.

Right now, Windows does not see my HDV cameras.

I have no problem with my DV camera.

Even when my HDV cameras are switched to DV, they are a no go in Windows Device Manager.

Right now, I'd say Sony HDR FX1 and HDR HC1 do not function on x64 systems. I hope someone points me in a direction that proves me wrong.

The strangest thing about this whole scenario is that the HC1 was seen briefly by this OS and then disappeared. The FX1 was never seen.

JayH
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Not to belabor the obvious, but you are sure that the FW ports on both cams are good, by testing and successfully capturing with another PC, yes? You ARE using FW and not something like USB? And you have never hot-plugged a FW cable into either cam? If it sees your DV cam but not your HDV cams in DV mode, I'd suspect the FW port.

Sorry if these are stupid or insulting questions, but you'd be surprised...
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I have taken the unit back tot he system builder, it is looking like a FW port problem.

Thanks,

JayH
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Inner Circle

If the VX1000 works fine, then it sure seems like any FW problem would be in the other cams and not in the PC...
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Well the problem was definitely the MB firewire ports. The shop said they are not functioning, they installed a PCI firewire card and were able to see their firewire devices.

The real problem though is that now, I have two cams that the firewire ports appear to be blown out.

I tried putting them in DV mode aand connecting them to my wife's laptop and they could not be seen. The VX 1000 was seen. This PC is Windows XP 32, so now I've got to repair my two cams!

Not sure if the systems builder is going to take resposibility, but I seriously doubt he will.

Thanks for all the assistance,

JayH
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #15
Tourist

Sorry to see that the problem was the FW ports Jay,but I'm glad to see it wasn't the 64 bit OS as I plan on going to Vista 64 with my FX-1.Gary
Gary Scrima is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1