Smart to buy a second hand FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 9th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Smart to buy a second hand FX1?

I have the opportunity to buy a used FX1 with 3 big batteries, beachtek adapter (with phantom power), ...
I'm planning on using it with my sgpro. Therefore the LCD comes in very handy because you can use the 'magnet trick'!

The price is 3000 dollars. So something like 2000 euros.
Piet Deyaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet Deyaert View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a used FX1 with 3 big batteries, beachtek adapter (with phantom power), ...
I'm planning on using it with my sgpro. Therefore the LCD comes in very handy because you can use the 'magnet trick'!

The price is 3000 dollars. So something like 2000 euros.
Whoa, I thought it was 3000 for a NEW FX1! Forgive me for not researching this before answering, but I'm pretty sure my FX1 was about that price. You can get 3 batteries and a beach tech anytime you want, spending a little over that used price... personally that does not sound like a deal.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Piet,

At least here in the US, $3,000 is not a good price for a used FX1. I've seen Z1Us in good condition (also with additional goodies) being sold for that much.

- Martin
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies!

But you do think that an FX1/Z1 would be a good choice? I was also looking for a Canon XH A1, but I don't like the fact that I can't use the magnet trick anymore (I always used it on my uncle's FX1, but now want my own camera).
I also prefer Sony above Canon (form, menu, ...).

Any suggestions for a good camera at a good price?
Piet Deyaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Major Player

I have two Z1s, and I very much like them. One thing you won't get from them is any kind of progressive recording, so if that's a must for you, the FX1/Z1 will be ruled out.

For my own use, I would not buy the FX1. I need the XLR inputs for audio, and I'd be lost without the Z1's black stretch feature because a lot of what I do is in low-light conditions. I might get a third Z1 one day, though. If low light is not critical for you and if you have sound covered (with an XLR adapter or separate audio recorder), then I believe the FX1 would be a good choice.

- Martin
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have the FX1, but when I am using my adapter, I tend to lean toward the HV20 because of the progressive mode.

I have used FX1's 24 Cineframe, I think its called, and in static situations, it is okay. I capture using Cineform, using pull down removal. You seem to lose some resolution doing it that way. I have also actually converted 60i to 24 with Cineform capture, and have had some mixed results there.

But if I had $ 3K to spend, I think I would track down the Canon A1.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Major Player

FX1 is about $3,000, I just saw a Z1 for $4,399.95 w/ 400 mail in rebate. But if you want to save money buy a new FX1 and a beach tech, for little more than the used price you were offered.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Go for the Z1 instead of the FX1! For another $1K you get so much extra, it's not worth killing yourself with the FX1 and adaptors, no black stretch, etc, etc.

These cameras are workhorses, you can rest assured, a used one will work just fine. Check this forum, or the BigBay - I just bought one from a reputable seller, works like new. They are kind of hard to find though, just another sign of the excellent value.

Oh, and don't get fooled by the low prices for new cameras - some stores will try to sell you the body only for $3K - by the time you add everything that should come with it, you end up a thousand over. Always use B&H for price reference.
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #9
Trustee

Honestly, $3,000 is way too much for a used FX1.
However if you do some searching you can find some great deals on lightly used FX1's.
I actually purchased 2 FX1s off of these boards last year for $2,000 a piece.

The reason that they were unloading their cameras was because they were upgrading to the new Sony EX1 cameras, which is the normal migration for a lot of video shooters. Sell lightly used equipment to upgrade to the latest and greatest gear.

I do agree about the FX1 being a great camera though, as it works well in low light has great manual controls and if you need XLR capability then simply get a Beachtek or Juicedlink XLR box for you camera.

If you need XLR but want to keep your setup as slim as possible then go for a Z1, where you will also get some improved menu options that you don't get in the FX1.

But the FX1 is a great choice. The Canon A1 is also a great choice if you like endless picture custom ability. Although I do shoot manual everything all of the time, I found the A1 too picture intensive for my shooting style. Canon cameras are great for being able to customize, but aren't good right out of the box. Sony cameras though have good customization and are almost ready to shoot right out of the box. Which is why I stayed Sony.
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #10
Major Player

hell yeah, go with a Z1u :-).
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #11
New Boot

"magnet Trick"

Sorry to sound dumb, but what is the "Magnet Trick" ?
John
John Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #12
Inner Circle

If you place a magnet in the right spot, the image flips upside down. It's useful when using special adapters/lenses that turn the picture 180 degrees.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1