What are the functional differences between the Z-1 and the V-1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Major Player

What are the functional differences between the Z-1 and the V-1?

Hello All,

I'm going over both user manuals of the Sony HVR-Z1 and HVR-V1. I don't know either very well, just a bit of use with the Z1 and a tad bit more with the V1, but really just fiddling around with both cameras, nothing serious. I was wondering, besides the CMOS vs CCD, the size and build, what are the functional differences between the two? Are there features, settings, options, etc. that one has and the other doesn't?

If its not to much trouble, it would really help me out if someone who knows these things, could list these differences for me.

By the way, if it matters at all... I'm in PAL land, so I'm talking about the P versions of both models.

PS: Wasn't sure if to post this here at this forum or at the HVR-V1 forum.... If there's a logical reason why I should have posted on the latter, I have no problem if this post is moved to its proper location by forum moderator.

Thanks for any help on this.

:-)

Adi
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Wrangler

One big difference is that the Z1 can shoot both PAL and NTSC as well as 1080i50 and 1080i60. With the V1 you have to buy a different model for each standard. Just off the top of my head, here are a few other differences

* Z1 has a built-in mike, V1 does not
* V1 shoots true 24p, Z1 does faux cineframe 24
* V1 has a memory card which can store picture profiles
* V1 has more picture profile options than Z1
* V1 has a longer zoom but doesn't go as wide as the Z1
* V1 has some integration with Sony's tapeless recording device (displays stats on LCD)
* V1 has HDMI output, Z1 does not

I own a Z1 but have only played with a V1. I'm sure others will chime in with some additional things.... or correct any mistakes I've made!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Hello Boyd, thanks for your help. I have some questions regarding your list:

Quote:
V1 shoots true 24p
I'm pretty sure the PAL version of the V1 doesn't shoot true 24p, but rather just regular PAL 25 fps. Am I wrong?

Quote:
Z1 does faux cineframe 24
Someone explained to me that using cineframe on the Z1 is the same as selecting PROGRESSIVE SCAN "ON" in the camera settings menu of the V1. Is that not correct?

Quote:
V1 has more picture profile options than Z1
From what I see in the users manuals, the V1 offers the following picture profile options to play around with:
COLOR LEVEL
COLOR PHASE
SHARPNESS
SKINTONE LVL
SKINTONE DTL
WB SHIFT
KNEE POINT
BLACK COMPENSATION
CINEMATONE GAMMA
and CINEMATONE COLOR

While the Z-1 offers only:
COLOR LEVEL
COLOR PHASE
SHARPNESS
SKINTONE LVL
SKINTONE DTL
AE SHIFT
AGC LIMIT
AT IRIS LIMIT
WB SHIFT
ATW SENSE
BLACK STRTCH
CINEMATONE GAMMA

I've seen that the V-1 can has AGC and iris limitation, they're just not under the PICTURE PROFILE options, but rather located somewhere else. So the differences from what I can see are:
BLACK COMPENSATION vs BLACK STRTCH - are they the same function just different names?
KNEE POINT and CINEMATONE COLOR - the Z-1 doesn't seem to have these picture profile options.
Also I've noticed that with the V-1 Sony made it a bit easier to select pre-set picture profiles with 6 available buttons, rather than the one button and dial on the Z-1.

Am I correct with all of this? Have I left something out, or misunderstood something?
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The V1 has "Black Stretch" as one of the 3 options (Off, Stretch, and Compress) under Black Compensation.

The V1 also has AE Shift, but it is not in picture profile.

And I'm fairly certain it also has ATW Sense (also not under picture profile), but I don't have the camera or manual right in front of me to confirm that one.
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If one only needs NTSC, then would the V1U seem to be the better camera?
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The Z1 is considered better in low light situations, so keep that in mind if that's important for the projects you do. The global CCD shutter on the Z1 may also be preferable to the rolling CMOS shutter on the V1 in some circumstances.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The Z1 has 1/3" sensor (CCD) while the V1 has 1/4" sensor (CMOS). Take this into account for both low light situations and depth of field.
Joe Sonnenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Major Player

thanks people.

but about my questions, mentioned above.... can someone clear those up for me?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi Head View Post
I'm pretty sure the PAL version of the V1 doesn't shoot true 24p, but rather just regular PAL 25 fps. Am I wrong?

Someone explained to me that using cineframe on the Z1 is the same as selecting PROGRESSIVE SCAN "ON" in the camera settings menu of the V1. Is that not correct?

KNEE POINT and CINEMATONE COLOR - the Z-1 doesn't seem to have these picture profile options.
You are probably right about the PAL 25p thing, but since I don't have one I can't say for sure. The info should be readily available on Sony's site however.

The Z1 cineframe is definitely NOT true progressive scan. See the following for more info: http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/cineframe.html

No knee settings on the Z1. But it does have two different cinematone settings in the picture profiles. I believe the V1 has more options for this however.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1