Cineframe24 Star Wars movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Cineframe24 Star Wars movie

I got my FX1 in November 2004 and shot a short Star Wars fanfilm with it. At that time I had decided to use Cineframe24. I met my (now) wife during the production, so a lot has happened since then that kept me busy. I recently completed a proper cut of the film with the appropriate special effects and sound design.

Synopsis
After a Jedi falls to the Dark Side, he decides to responsibly dispose of himself for the safety of the galaxy. The Force channels his fallen Master's spirit to dissuade him.

You can view the film in multiple versions (in order of quality):
YouTube | Vimeo | 480p streaming | 720p streaming.
You can also read more about the film and playback notes at its web page here.

Camera Settings and Notes
We were blessed during (most of) the shooting with an overcast rainy day that gave the FX1 a nice low-contrast image, to be pushed and pulled in post. To avoid as much strobing as possible, a 1/60th shutter was used, and ND and iris were adjusted to keep the shutter intact. As is per usual with 1/3" chips, there's not much DOF to be seen in the footage.

Post work was done using Cineform's AspectHD, and HDLink was used to detect and remove the 3:2 pull-down. Editing in PPro CS3 was done in a 23.976p timeline, and special effects were done in After Effects CS3 with 32-bpcc processing and linear blending modes.

Cineframe24 gets a bad rap. Usually described as "useless" or "garbage" people seem to forget or ignore that most people watch 24p content with a 3:2 judder on their 60 Hz displays. For this reason, it is doubtful that the majority of viewers will be bothered by uneven cadence Cineframe24 produces. I have yet to receive any criticism or acknowledgement of the uneven temporal cadence of this work. See if you notice it, but be warned that you have been informed, and are not therefore a blind test.

I hope you enjoy the film, and view this as evidence of the utility of Cineframe24, for better or for worse.

Cheers,
-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1