Audio Monitor Needs Repair - Recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Audio Monitor Needs Repair - Recommendations?

As the heading suggests, the audio monitor jack on my Z1 has stopped delivery. I've tested it with four, good sets of headphones, but no joy. :'(

If others have had this issue pop up, is there a known field repair, or is it a bench job? If it must be sent out, any recommendations of reliable repair facilities, preferably in Northern CA?

Many thanks!

Chris ~
Chris Rasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I had the headphone-out go totally dead then it came back all on its own. There may have been a bit of grit under the plug activated switch. With many mini phono plugs (jacks), this facility is there even if it is not wired to switch to another audio circuit.

Try giving the socket a short blast with camera canned air to shift anything which might be getting in between the conductive surfaces of the switch.

Not all mini-phono plugs were born equal and build quality varies enough that a conductor may not touch.

Have you ever had a headphone plug jam in the socket and difficult to remove?

If my recollection is correct and maybe it isn't, I think you should be using stereo phones with a stereo plug, not mono.

A separate wrinkle is that the playback volume control on the panel under the LCD also controls playback level into the headphone socket.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 24th, 2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added text
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1