Keeping my FX1E warm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 14th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Keeping my FX1E warm

Folks.

During January -- February, I will be Alberta state Canada, coaching alpine skiing and filming. The environment can be quite harsh. -18 --> -30 is common.

The most immediate issue is keeping the battery insulated during filming, as cold air temps, reduce battery performance. (Note for handy cams, we generally tuck the camera in our jackets in between shots ... not possible for the larger fx1E). Anyone have any advice ?

Also, do i need to worry about issues of moisture build up within the camera itself ....

happy to hear from anyone experienced with these conditions .....

Thanks in advance ....
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Justin,

I used the FX1 at temperatures occasionly down to -15 to -25 Degrees (Celsius). Never had any problems so far even if the camera was one hour out in the cold. So far I would recomment that You always have av fully loaded spare battery. Just do not open the camera bag immediatly when You get after the shooting in to a warm room. But this is common sense.

Richard
Richard Firnges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I regularly use the FX1 during the winter and would agree with keeping it in the bag after bringing it indoors. The foam padding acts as insulation and I keep it in the bag for a couple hours. If you are changing temps briefly be sure to keep your lens covered to prevent condensation. I like to use painter's masking tape to prevent snow and moisture from getting in the tape compartment. The LCD gets real slow in the cold so I rely on the eye piece for focusing.

Have fun.
Dale
Dale Bohlke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thnaks for your help guys ...

Much appreciated
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

In keeping with the suggestion to keep your cam in your camera bag, one trick I've used with other, smaller cameras is to place the camera into a ziplock bag prior to returning indoors and to let it warm up to room temp before taking it out again. This could take hours. The humidity outside will probably be very low so the air in the ziplock bag will be dry. I haven't had to do this with my FX1, so I've never looked for ziplock bags large enough. ;-) I'm sure a closed-off (clean) plastic kitchen garbage bag would work in a similar manner. Just make sure it is well-sealed as the camera warms up. Condensation is a killer. Think of what happens to a can of cold soda on a warm summer day, and that's what could be happening inside your camera!

And yes, keep your batteries warm! And bring more than you think you'll need.
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1