Z1 can't be seen by PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Z1 can't be seen by PC

I've just done a complete reinstall on my PC and now can't get Cineform HD Link or Vegas 8 to see my Z1 using the firewire cable which has never been a problem in the past.
I can't recall if the Z1 has a driver disc the PC needs or if the camerea is just automatically recognised. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Check your device manager? See if your firewire card or whatever needs a driver installed? Those are the first two points to check, then try a different Firewire cable in case yours decided to bite the dust during your rebuild... then it comes down to the possibility that you blew the firewire port on the cam, a somewhat common problem.

HTH
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Dave for your reply. The problem was caused by my Audigy soundcard which was lacking a driver for the firewire terminal. All fixed now.

I'm glad to say the Z1 wasn't fried. I always ensure the camera is off when I connectthe cable and always after the PC. I read that cautionary tale on this site!
Thanks again, Dave.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #4
New Boot

I can't connect Z1 either

Hi,

I have a similar problem: The Z1 is not recognized by my computer (mas powerbook, PPC), but it was OK last week.

I bought a new Firewire cable to see if that was the issue and there is no change.

I've gone through all the menu items on the camera and FCP5, changed them all around and still nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Douglas
Douglas Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Engle View Post
Hi,

I have a similar problem: The Z1 is not recognized by my computer (mas powerbook, PPC), but it was OK last week.

I bought a new Firewire cable to see if that was the issue and there is no change.

I've gone through all the menu items on the camera and FCP5, changed them all around and still nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Douglas
Douglas: With FCP open and the camera connected (and turned on in VCR mode), click "View," then "Video Out," then "Refresh Camera." That should do it.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1