Profile Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Profile Settings

Hi, I need help ASAP! Just got my hands on a Z1 to film a corporate/concert event. The room is going be kinda dark with flashy lights, they want a kinda cool raw look. Could anyone please share their profile setting for an event such as this? Its just im not used to a Z1 and havent really got the time to go through every setting, it need to be shot in HDV.

Any help would really be appreciated. Cheers.
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The most valuable setting in profiles is black stretch, which gives you more range in the shadows. I find I can get good results without using the profiles.

You would be better served practicing shooting in all manual mode in a spotlight situation. If left in auto mode the camera will over expose because the majority of the frame will be black. Manual mode can be tricky if you're not used to it. So don't take for granted you know how it works. Find a dark room turn off the lights and turn on a desk lamp, see if you can operate the camera in the dark and properly expose and focus the camera.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Trustee

Totally agree with PETE.....
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys but time isnt on my side. May have to use a small top light so i think my best bet is to white balance it and just use manual iris.I think this would be the safest? what do you reckon?
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Wrangler

That should be fine. I shoot opera performances and they are often REALLY dark but must be shot with available light. For this kind of thing, I find +12db gain boost completely acceptable. You will get some noise, but it isn't all that noticeable and, hey.... it's DARK, what do you expect? :-) I even use +15db in a pinch.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1