Sony HDV footage online - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 7th, 2004, 02:50 AM   #61
Regular Crew

I have seen the pal-model.

And the problems are great fast moving objekts and pans in normal speed. In both case the picture quality went down - there are plenty pixel shown and sometimes some strange color aberrations.

So on the one hand we have a camera with a great picture quality on still scenes, but on the other hand very poor picture quality by fast movements und normal pans.

I truely sure that professionals will dont accept such a great difference in picture quality and also not such an poor quality by motion and pans. And because there is no HDV camera without that problems, i came to the opinion that HDV is not ready for professional use.

Sorry for my bad english - hope its a little bit clearer what i meant.

regards
Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #62
Trustee

It reads quite clear.

What I can't conceive, if it may be possible, is how a company like Sony will release a supposedly high-definition equipment that can not pan with the same quality as it does static shots.

Perhaps the problem you saw was due to the monitor or output interconnection, and not an actual HD output.

Will try to check on that with some people I know that will be beta testers.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #63
Major Player

Once again, I believe that the problem is both the MPEG compression and (most importantly) the 4:2:0 scheme, the HD10 does ok because it is progressive but an interlaced signal, in MPEG, at such a high definition and a low bitrate in 4:2:0, one field will be completely off because of the chroma. The other problem is the long GOP, the longer, the more artefacting is likely to occur. If the 50i version has problems, imagine a 60i at the same bitrate...

Of course the compressors will eventually become better but for the moment, 1080i HDV will have problems. The compression on DVHS (I saw 1080/60i at 25 Mb/s) looks good but let's not forget that they are professionnaly encoded and (much more importantly) they are from 24p film sources, thus using a pulldown method and using less bandwidth. Also film makers use less drastic motions than video makers because of the frame rate so these problems are less likely to appear in these situations.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Simple answer..... Sony wouldn't release a new system that did have those problems. HD is so less forgiving when it comes to playback compared to SD video. SD masks artifacts and other issues due to it's already low res and softer video. HD and it's monitors are more exact and don't hide artifacts. Sony would be shooting their own foot if their Flagship HDV camera's ( FX1&PD190 ) did have these issues. This post about problems during pans are the same hogwash that was posted about Mini DV ( VX1000 ) back in 1995-96. People would say they couldn't stop seeing the artifacts etc. BS then, most likely BS today........

""""What I can't conceive, if it may be possible, is how a company like Sony will release a supposedly high-definition equipment that can not pan with the same quality as it does static shots."""""
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #65
Major Player

You are right, it does not look like Sony to do that :)
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #66
MPS Digital Studios

I would say they aren't problems with the camera, but with HDV. Eric is right about that.

Don't forget, of course, that Sony's HUGE success with the high-end HD line plays into how they'll market HDV.

Lastly, HDV isn't HDCam.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1