DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Pro version to have 46 differences from Consumer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/33066-pro-version-have-46-differences-consumer.html)

Christopher C. Murphy October 6th, 2004 02:35 PM

"Pro" version to have "46 differences" from "Consumer"

I just read something from another forum that "Pro" version will have "46 differences". This information was provided from someone who visited the Government Expo in WA.

If there are even HALF that amount of differences and they're all improvements - I am waiting for the "Pro" verison. Anyone else thinking that too?

Murph

Boyd Ostroff October 6th, 2004 03:46 PM

That is tantalizing. OTOH, when the PD-170 was released I recall that two of the improvements they cited were a strap for the iLink cable and a new color scheme ;-)

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2004 04:49 PM

I'm at Govt Video Expo and had a sneak peek at the pro version, for which there isn't a model number yet. It's black, so it must be "pro." The presenter showed a working pre-production sample and mentioned the "46 differences." Among them, a 24fps mode, XLR inputs, manual audio pots on the body, pre-set focus positions, DVCAM and more. I haven't seen an FX1 yet so I can't compare it to anything. This pro model is very, very nice; should be a big hit for Sony at under $7k.

Christopher C. Murphy October 6th, 2004 05:00 PM

Dubba, dubba, dubba...ahh...what?!

Double take here -- did you just say "24fps mode"?

If that's the case then Sony is releasing a legendary camera, and I officially challenge Canon/JVC and everyone else to respond to it! It's starting to feel like a buyers market for 2005.

Murph

Barry Green October 6th, 2004 06:18 PM

The consumer model also has a 24fps mode ("Cineframe 24"). So how does the pro version differ? Did they incorporate true progressive scan?

Mark Kubat October 6th, 2004 06:45 PM

Chris, did they show footage? how'd it look?

Chris, certainly they must have had some sort of demo footage on HD displays - how did it look?

thanx!

Paul Henley October 6th, 2004 08:48 PM

There was also mention of the pro version being released in January. Any truth to that?

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2004 09:25 PM

I was told the pro version will be out in Jan. Yes they were running demo material, and I thought it looked superb. But were they showing HDV or HDCAM in its place as a substitute? I'd like to believe it was HDV. Sony's biggest problem with this camera will be its ability to meet the demand for it.

Maybe the presenter was confused (or maybe I'm confused; I'm so easily confused) and the reference was to 25fps not 24fps. But really, what's the difference? None that you could see. More pro version info coming up,

Michael Pappas October 6th, 2004 10:13 PM

Get all the info you can Chris! If I knew you were going, I would have made my list for you. Ask the Sony people if the footage there showing is from the HDV camera. Also ask them if the 24fps is the same as cineframe on the pro-sumer and if not what are the differences........

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2004 10:23 PM

Michael you're not out driving that car? What's the deal?

Here are some differences in the pro version... not 46 but a few: black body, XLR Inputs, separate recessed audio volume controls, Time Code preset, camera switchable between 50 Hz /60 Hz, simultaneous use of LCD display and EVF, EVF switchable between B&W and color, Hyper Gain, zoom display w/numbers, hours meter, Audio Noise Reduction, audio limiter, action safe zone display. That's all I've got for tonight.

Michael Pappas October 6th, 2004 10:34 PM

Fast response Chris! I was out, and driving the speed limit too..hmmmmm :-). I came back from having dinner with Bob & Barb. Can't wait tell you come to LA in December for DVexpo. It's been to long as usual... Thanks for the info. This camera is sounding sweeter everyday. Your my eye's and ears looking at that camera...................

Rob Lohman October 7th, 2004 03:22 AM

Camera switchable between 50 and 60 Hz... now that sounds
interesting. So if I interpret this correctly the camera is both PAL/
NTSC compatible in one? Yes I know the HD format is one standard,
but I assume it can downsample it to both? Can the SD mode
record in both? That would be a very interesting feature as well.

Mark Kubat October 7th, 2004 05:26 AM

is the "glass" any different?

Chris, a lot of speculation that maybe even the glass (ie. higher quality lens to better suit HD) on the pro version will be different/ie. superior to what is on the consumer version to justify the significantly higher price - any way you can find out if the lens element is different?

thanks Chris - your reporting from gvexpo is the best i've seen on the net so far - and believe you me, we've been out looking....

thank you for your excellent work!

your post hinted under $7k - so, like, how much under $7? Can you elaborate a bit?

also, any hint how close software support on pc side is coming from the vendors that initially announced support (ie. ulead, adobe, sony vegas) etc.?

so many questions... only 1 day left at expo...

please chris, give us more!

K. Forman October 7th, 2004 05:43 AM

I read about this cam in this month's DV mag... It doesn't shoot 24fps, but it will playback at 24 fps to emulate film.

If it had interchangeable lenses, I'd give it a go... It's a sweet little cam.

Chris Hurd October 7th, 2004 06:09 AM

I'm not even sure that I can get back into that suite today but I'll try!

Dave Campbell October 7th, 2004 01:20 PM

So far I have not heard enough extra features that seem to support such a large price difference. How do the vx2100 and pd170 compare in features and price.

Dave

Chris Hurd October 7th, 2004 03:23 PM

Couldn't get back in. DSE was there, I'll ask him to post.

Heath McKnight October 7th, 2004 08:48 PM

Chris,

you rock, chief!

heath

Chris Hurd October 7th, 2004 09:13 PM

I had only a very brief look at it just once, no photos, and couldn't get back in the second time. But just wait for the reports from those who had better luck than I did!

Heath McKnight October 7th, 2004 09:15 PM

I think there's a post with a pic of the pro version. lots of wires and the rquisite black color. So, gray=consumer and prosumer while black=pro, huh? JVC is confusing us with the black HD1 and black HD10. <g>

heath

Charlie McCarrick October 7th, 2004 09:28 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : I read about this cam in this month's DV mag... It doesn't shoot 24fps, but it will playback at 24 fps to emulate film. -->>>

It doesn't shoot at 24 fps, but it can play back at 24 fps? How does that work? Are you saying the cam's VCR can play back at 24, and your PC can capture it?

Heath McKnight October 7th, 2004 09:30 PM

Charlie,

I believe the consumer version has something in their SD mode that does that.

heath

Charlie McCarrick October 7th, 2004 09:33 PM

That might make sense, because so far, I've had no idea what use the SD mode could possibly serve!

Heath McKnight October 7th, 2004 09:44 PM

I shot something over two days last May with my HD10. First day, I shot in SD (forgetting it records in mpeg2-ts like HD) and the next day in DV. I finally did a down-convert when I realized not many Mac HDV third partiers support the SD mode yet. I should've shot DV both days, or just HD and done the down-convert.

I LOVE the down- and up-convert on the HD10!

heath

Boyd Ostroff October 7th, 2004 09:58 PM

From what I've read the DV (SD) mode sounds very interesting. Like a VX-2100 with native widescreen, calibrated zoom and focus rings, and much better manual controls than a PD-170.

Frederic Lumiere October 7th, 2004 10:52 PM

I am currently working with footage shot with the FX1 25fps version and I have to tell you, it's a winner!

The footage looks incredible and it should be a serious solution for filmmakers wanting to shoot features at an incredible price and transfer to film.

The footage shows no chroma noise like we've seen with the 1 chip HDV cam. If 24p is important to you, most likely it is because you want to do a film out. If its the case, buy the 25p version.

Frederic

Heath McKnight October 7th, 2004 10:54 PM

Frederic,

Let me know if you can help Jon Fordham and I get our hands on either the NTSC (preferred, actually) or the PAL FX1, so we can test and review it!

heath

Frederic Lumiere October 7th, 2004 10:58 PM

Heath,

They are keeping a tight grip on these pre-release units. If there is anything I can do, I will.

Frederic

Christopher C. Murphy October 8th, 2004 06:19 AM

Hey all, I've never considered buying a Pal 25p before. But, after reading this stuff it's making me think that it might be worthwhile this time.

If we buy a Pal version - yet, want to consistantly convert to NTSC - what is the deal with that? In FCP do we cut at 25p and upon export convert to 29.97 frames? Anywhere I can look to read up on this?

Also, can someone explain to me the whole "Camera switchable between 50 Hz /60 Hz" thing? Does that mean 50i and 60i? I'm dumb when it comes that stuff.

Thanks!

Murph

Heath McKnight October 8th, 2004 08:05 AM

Frederich,

Let me know--I can use it for a magazine article I'm writing and also for a review for another major video magazine.

Murph,

You can always convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa using DVFilm Maker.

Thanx,

heath

Christopher C. Murphy October 8th, 2004 08:56 AM

Heath, I just read somewhere that it's only 1 unit...it'll switch PAL/NTSC. If that's the case then we're getting 25p on the camera regardless if we wanted it or not. Is this confirmable? (is confirmable a word?)

EDIT UPDATE: Ok, now I just read that the "Pro" version is the one that'll have switchable PAL/NTSC. I guess we should cease that topic until we have total "confirmable" news!

Murph

Heath McKnight October 8th, 2004 09:02 AM

Good call, Murph. By the way, it's confirmation.

heath

Frederic Lumiere October 8th, 2004 09:05 AM

Heath,

Will DV Filmmaker work in HD resolutions?

Frederic

Heath McKnight October 8th, 2004 09:17 AM

Good question. I believe they've updated it, but I'll ask Marcus v. B.

heath

Christopher C. Murphy October 8th, 2004 10:57 AM

Oh yeah, confirmation is right. But, confirmable should be a word. :)

Murph

Barry Green October 8th, 2004 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : Heath, I just read somewhere that it's only 1 unit...it'll switch PAL/NTSC. If that's the case then we're getting 25p on the camera regardless if we wanted it or not. Is this confirmable? (is confirmable a word?)
There won't be any 25P. The camera doesn't shoot any type of progressive scan. There will be the CineFrame option, which is their 24p and 30p simulator, but there won't be any 25P.

Frederic Lumiere October 8th, 2004 12:00 PM

Barry,

You are correct. It is 50i & 60i.

Frederic

Carlos E. Martinez October 8th, 2004 01:28 PM

According to one video to film transfer lab I talked with, the FX1 50i type can be used for film projects, as they shoot the video at 25 frames. There's no interpolation as on NTSC to 24 frames transfers.

Apparently it may not be that easy to go from HDV 60i to 24 frames, because artifacts may be more visible than in SD video.

Carlos

Heath McKnight October 8th, 2004 01:37 PM

thought PAL is easier to go to 24p, 1080i60 can also be transferred to 24p, then, if one wishes, to 35mm.

heath

Carlos E. Martinez October 8th, 2004 01:49 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : thought PAL is easier to go to 24p, 1080i60 can also be transferred to 24p, then, if one wishes, to 35mm.
-->>>

Apparently not, according to the lab. At least for now.

Carlos